Linux Kernel Developer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
Engineering Group, Engineering Group > Software Engineering
Qualcomm is a company of inventors that unlocked 5G ushering in an age of rapid acceleration in connectivity and new possibilities that will transform industries, create jobs, and enrich lives. But this is just the beginning. It takes inventive minds with diverse skills, backgrounds, and cultures to transform 5Gs potential into world-changing technologies and products. This is the Invention Age - and this is where you come in.
As a Linux Kernel Developer, you are responsible for working within a distributed team of fellow engineers that are developing 'upstream first' Linux kernel software for a future server class platform. You will collaborate both internally, and externally with upstream communities (including the Linux and commercial Operating System ecosystems), as well as with appropriate standards bodies. You will have an opportunity to engage broadly with our customers and third parties on enablement of new platforms, and optimizations in our microarchitecture.
Role and Responsibilities
* Assist in the definition of future server class SoCs and platforms
* Lead the creation of optimizations and drivers for server class platforms, focused on ensuring that existing Operating Systems run well, while identifying strong opportunity for enhancements that can improve performance on our hardware
* Collaborating with the performance team to understand areas of hw optimization
* BS / MS in an engineering discipline (or equivalent professional experience) with 5 years experience in Linux kernel development
* Strong grasp of Computer Architecture concepts, including high performance server class architectures, weak memory models, and server platforms
* Self-starter who takes initiative and engages well with upstream communities
* Proficient in C, assembly language, and build systems
* Good understanding of distributed revision control systems
* 5 years+ of experience in building software stacks for server class platforms
* Experience in working 'upstream first' with the Linux kernel community
* Experience in maintaining server class platform support upstream
* Strong grasp of Computer Architecture concepts leveraged by modern high performance server-class platforms, knowledge of performance tradeoffs
* Deep expertise in UEFI, ACPI, PCIe, and other related server specs
* Frequently transports between offices, buildings, and campuses up to ½ mile.
* Frequently transports and installs equipment up to 5 lbs.
* Performs required tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or sitting).
* Monitors and utilizes computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day.
* Continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person and remotely.
Bachelors - Computer Science, Bachelors - Engineering, Bachelors - Information Systems
5+ years of Software Engineering or related work experience ,2+ years experience with Programming Language such as C, C++, Java, Python, etc.
8+ years Software Engineering or related work experience. ,3+ years experience with Database Management Software. ,3+ years experience with API. ,3+ years experience working in a large matrixed organization. ,1+ years of work experience in a role requiring interaction with senior leadership (e.g., Director level and above).
Mathematical Methods, Object-Oriented Programming (OOP), Scientific Analysis, Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), Software Solutions
Applicants: If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm's toll-free number found here for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities to be able participate in the hiring process. Qualcomm is also committed to making our workplace accessible for individuals with disabilities. Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
If you would like more information about this role, please contact Qualcomm Careers.