Vegetation Program Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
Requisition ID # 82479
Job Category : Project / Program Management
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : Chico
PG&E's Vegetation Management department manages 600+ tree crews and 350+ utility foresters with an operating budget of over $170M. Primary objectives are to ensure public safety, system reliability and regulatory compliance by managing vegetation on 113,000 miles of OH distribution line and 19,500 miles of transmission line across PG&E service area.
The Vegetation Program Manager is responsible for oversight of Vegetation Management operations in Sierra and Sacramento Divisions. Primary objectives are to ensure regulatory compliance with CPUC General Order 95 Rule 35, PRC 4293 and NERC Standard FAC-003-1; all of which support Public Safety and Electric System Reliability. Specific Duties include:
* Assist Supervising Program Managers and Regional Manager to manage aggregated budget and contract oversight, including approximate 1,000 contract personnel.
* Provides guidance and monitor status to assure program goals and objectives are met.
* Provide analytical VM data to support Sr. Business Analyst reporting.
* Business process review, development and improvement.
* Special Projects as assigned to support VM Operations.
* Ability to manage VM key programs that includes Routine, EVM, CEMA, and System Hardening.
* Maintain the VM Project Management Data Base as directed by the SVPM, RM, and Sr. Business Analyst
* Support and ensure the quality of contracted Database Management Specialists.
* Ability to pull and issue work packets and information necessary for field staff from Arc GIS Online
* The VPM must be able to effectively communicate procedures for use of hand-held computers to field personnel, resolve user problems.
* Works with some guidance to complete assignments and solves problems of moderate scope and complexity.
* Works with some guidance on moderately complex issues.
* Participates on and may lead project teams.
* Communicates with peers, exchanging ideas or gathering information on overall program plan and goals within a specific functional area of operations.
* May participate in public hearings, legal proceedings or similar in support of the subject matter expert, may be the subject matter expert
* Contributes to the development of budget forecasts and the development of business cases.
* Delivers on the program implementation plan.
* Contributes to implementation and creation of new concepts, processes and ideas to further VM program advancement.
* Develops new and ad-hoc reports, summarizes findings and recommendations
Oversees work of 1,000 contractors.
* Bachelor degree (forestry or related field) or equivalent experience
* Minimum of 3+ years of related experience in vegetation management (Utility preferred) Desired
* ISA Arborist/Utility Specialist certification
* Experience working in a high paced, politically charged environment with significant interaction with customers, cities, counties and governmental agencies
* Program/project management skills
* Knowledge of electric transmission and distribution systems
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Experience in a leadership position
* Ability to quickly learn the mechanics of the VM Applications and become VM's subject matter expert on the VM Applications' reports and functions
* Background in ArcCollector, ESRI software, GIS and Vegetation Management and Project Management databases
* Excellent organizational, prioritization and multi-tasking skills
* Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Project, Visio or similar software Intermediate to advanced proficiency with MS Office tools.
* Experience with MS SQL and Access; including ability to extract and summarize data for reporting purposes. Requires understanding of VM databases, table relationships, and ability to mine data.
* Typically receives general instructions on new assignments or projects. Receives little instruction on recurring assignments.
* Creative problem skills to develop solutions
* Qualitative and quantitative analytical skills to justify any business changes
* Strong presentation and communication skills to deliver findings and recommendations to various levels of management