Apprentice Electrical Technician San Jose
Employment Type: Full-Time
Requisition ID # 51620
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
The Substation Maintenance and Construction Team is an integral part of our Energy Delivery organization. They are responsible for safely and reliably maintaining and constructing our high voltage substations throughout the PG&E service territory of northern and central California.
This is an IBEW Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
During the training program the Apprentice Protection Electrical Technician is expected to learn and become proficient in the calibration, installation, maintenance, and operation of the following: protective relays and associated equipment which will ensure the efficient, safe, reliable, and NERC Reliability Standards compliant operation of PG&E generating plants and transmission networks. Responsible for performing work involving an extremely high degree of complexity, including commissioning substation schemes, and maintaining components of protective relay systems(microprocessor and electro-mechanical); substation and electric utility protection systems; station automation and supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems.
The individual will work near energized equipment and may be exposed to loud noises and vibrations. This job requires the individual to comprehend various types of equipment labels, safety signs, learn and apply technical materials and complete daily logs.
Work may be required in all weather conditions. The individual must be able to drive safely, work extended hours; travel/transfer to new headquarter upon request at any time, and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment.
* Performs Electrical Technician's work as an assistant to or under the general direction of a technician
* Possibility of maneuvering on stairs and ladders, over uneven grating, gravel, concrete, metal grating and wood; which may include narrow and uneven surfaces; possibility of ice, oil, and/or water on surfaces
* Work on ladders and other elevated structures with the use of Personal Protection Equipment
* Operate a company vehicle
* Pack and move from ground, trucks or platforms, equipment, hand tools and other materials
* Ability to work with other technicians on testing and installing equipment
* Recording and filing of test results
* Ability to work in a team environment
* Ability to work safely as defined by PG&E's safety standards and procedures
* Must be at least 18 years of age
* Must possess a High School diploma or GED
* Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
* Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
* Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
* Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays, and/or overtime (scheduled or ad hoc)
* Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
* A two year Associates Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology
* Currently enrolled or a graduate of the PowerPathway® Program: Electrical Power Systems Certificate, College of San Mateo
* Electrician experience, especially at a utility
* Substation experience
* Previous military experience in Power Production
* Previous Journeyman Electrician experience with two years of experience in relay and control
* Proficient at understanding and deciphering electrical drawings / schematics
* Experience in reading electronic circuit maps
* Ability to navigate and read information in MS Word and MS Excel
* To better represent the communities we serve, applicants who live within 50 miles of the headquarter location will be given preference
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application; and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the Pre-employment testing program website.
* Apprentice Electrical Technician Test - ETT Test
* Industrial Skills Test
* Physical Test Battery
* Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving