Principal Scientist, Integrated Biotechnologies
Employment Type: Full-Time
Exciting opportunity to join an innovative group at the nexus of functional genomics and chemical biology in Oncology drug discovery. Integrated Biotechnologies (IBT) is a collaborative group that applies expertise in cell engineering, proteomics and CRISPR targeting platforms across Pfizer's diverse Oncology portfolio. This position is located at Pfizer's La Jolla CA campus and within a team focused on applying gene targeting approaches to development of first in class therapies. Team members pursue tumor and immune cell targets while leveraging diverse therapeutic modalities that include enzymatic inhibitors and protein degraders.
The Principal Scientist will be responsible for leading strategy, design and interpretation of broad endpoint functional genomic assays. While serving as a subject matter expert, specific directions will be finalized in collaboration with diverse project teams and involve technologies such as single cell analysis, pooled CRISPR perturbations and optimization for challenging in vivo or primary cell models. Expertise using NGS technology as an experimental readout and extensive experience with large-scale data analysis is required. This role will also utilize genetic engineering to design and apply experimental models that enable screening for novel therapeutics and accelerate target validation. Expected to serve as an inspirational mentor and advisor to IBT scientists. Successful candidates will have a team-focused attitude that helps build and strengthen collaborations with colleagues across Pfizer's Oncology Research & Development portfolio.
* Lead project design, execution and direct follow-up for functional genomic characterization of investigational therapeutics
* Identify opportunities for new target discovery
* Implement new technologies that expand the group capabilities
* Operate successfully in a matrixed environment through collaboration with experts across broad fields, such as Chemistry, Immunology, and Structural Biology
* Effectively translate results into data-driven decisions
* Ph.D. in Genetics, Molecular/Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, or a related field
* Minimum of 5-8 years postdoctoral and/or research experience
* Strong background in cancer genetics, epigenetics or target discovery and validation
* Demonstrated success developing and applying large-scale genomic/epigenomic analysis
* Outstanding communication, writing, and presentation skills
* Industry experience preferred
* Experience with functional genomics that includes screen design, analysis, and direction of downstream hit validation
* Expertise in current cell engineering technologies and applications for cellular screening models
* Creative application of chemical biology systems to reveal target biology and oncogenic contributions
* Experience working with external Contract Research Organizations (CROs)
Other Job Details:
* Last Date to Apply for Job: 3/15/2021
* Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus: YES
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development