Associate Scientist, Biochemistry/Enzymology
Employment Type: Full-Time
At Pfizer, we both innovate and harness the scale - tremendous expertise and resources - to deliver breakthroughs to make the world a healthier place. The Cancer Drug Discovery is at the heart of the Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into breakthroughs that change patient's lives. This mission often starts with the discovery of novel drug-like leads, targeting abnormally regulated, oncogenic enzymes. Pfizer Oncology Drug Discovery is a priority therapeutic area - dynamic, innovative, and collaborative. We are committed to discovering, investigating, and developing transformative therapies that improve the outlook for cancer patients.
Biochemistry and Quantitative Pharmacology Department of the Pfizer Oncology Research Division in La Jolla, CA has an immediate opening for an innovative, passionate entry-level Scientist to join our Enzymology/Biochemistry Drug Discovery team. This Biochemist will make key contributions to the discovery of future cancer drugs through kinetic, mechanistic, and functional characterization of enzymes and other regulatory proteins, development and execution of focused biochemical / binding and selectivity assays, and ligand SAR analysis.
* Develop a variety of impactful robust, automated plate-based biochemical and binding assays and innovative selectivity screens using best available technologies and equipment.
* Assay execution, data analysis and publication of highly reproducible data.
* Kinetic and mechanistic characterization of lead compounds and biochemical pathways.
* Work within diverse project teams to contribute biochemical data and knowledge to discovery of small molecule drug candidates.
* Active engagement across cancer drug discovery activities and on project teams.
* Bachelor's degree with 0-2 years of work experience focused on enzymes or other biological targets and their molecular interactions with small-molecule ligands.
* Solid understanding of biochemical/biophysical sciences, assay development methods, and technologies.
* Demonstrated ability to learn new lab techniques quickly.
* Strong technical and computational abilities.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Inquisitive and ambitious candidate with a BS in Biochemistry or closely related disciplines, passionate about science and discovery technologies.
* Track record of contributions to biochemical or related research projects.
* Basic knowledge of cancer drug discovery, enzymology, biochemical pharmacology, and cell signaling pathways.
* Strong technical abilities. Skills in developing and performing automated plate-based pharmacology assays, enzyme kinetics, understanding inhibitor SAR.
* Experience in biophysical methods.
Other Job Details
* Last Date to Apply: July 28, 2021
* Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development