Registered Dental Assistant - Bilingual
Employment Type: Full-Time
Summary: The RDA performs a variety of dental assisting duties while promoting a safe and clean environment for quality dental care. These duties include but are not limited to assisting the doctor, and teaching patients how to care for their teeth. Communicates effectively with the patient; maintains equipment and inventory, cleans, sterilizes and packages instruments and follows standard precautions, OSHA requirements and dental board auxiliaries' regulations.
The RDA works on behalf of the patient and the dentist helping to assure a high level of professional excellence in oral health care delivery.
Areas of Responsibility:
* Exposes and processes dental radiographs (x-rays)
* Assists the dentist during a variety of examinations and treatment procedures: instrument transfer, dental procedure isolation techniques and preparation of dental materials
* Prepares treatment rooms, instruments and cassettes for procedures
* Greets and prepares patients for treatment
* Records medical and dental history and vital signs of patients
* Records visit information in the electronic patient record (Dentrix)
* Pours, trims and polishes study casts; fabricates custom impression trays from preliminary impressions; cleans and polishes removable appliances and fabricates temporary restorations
* Serves as an infection control officer, follows infection control protocols and sterilizes and disinfects instruments and equipment
* Helps patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment
* Provides patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration (filling)
* Teaches patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g. tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
* Uses Motivational interviewing and Caries risk assessment tools
* Provides patient education, nutritional counseling and helps patient set oral health goals
* Assists patients with referrals and follow up appointments
* Presents treatment plans to patients
* Takes impressions of patients' teeth for study casts (models of teeth)
* Communicates with patients and suppliers (e.g. scheduling appointments, answering the telephone, ordering supplies)
* Helps provide direct patient care in all dental specialties, including orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, endodontics, periodontics and oral surgery
* Prepares and maintains dental instruments, supplies and equipment
* Coordinates lab cases with different labs; assures timely pickup and delivery of cases. Keeps the lab area clean and organized. Tracks cases and communicates scheduling needs to the Patient care coordinator
* Involved with prevention and management of dental medical emergencies
* Participates in the achievement of patient satisfaction and office production goals by working efficiently and providing a high level of patient service
* Proficient with dental software programs including but not limited to Dentrix Enterprise, Guru, Dexis, and Iris Intraoral camera
* Performs office management tasks that require the use of a personal computer
* Performs and keeps office records related to Equipment maintenance (daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly); Communicates and coordinates equipment repairs
* Keeps Inventory control
* Participates actively in staff meetings
* Conducts work in compliance with office policies and procedures, safety, OSHA, MSDS guidelines and the Dental Board of CA and COMDA
* Assists with other duties as directed
Experience and Skills:
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
* New employees are mandated to either provide proof of their COVID vaccination or to receive the vaccine, either through PHC or their own provider, with the first dose of a series required before the first day of employment. Exception to this mandate will be considered for those with a medical or religious exemption.
* High School diploma or equivalent required
* Graduation from accredited Dental Assisting School preferred
* Minimum two years of recent experience as a RDA preferred
* Strong customer service ethic
* Good communication skills
* Ability to perform detailed work according to established formats and protocols
Licenses and Certifications:
* Valid CA RDA license and RDA certification
* X-ray license
* CPR training current
* CE courses current
Language Skills: Bilingual in English and Spanish, both written and verbal preferred.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to recognize problems, collect data and establish facts.
Computer Skills: High level of computer literacy and proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), Dental practice management software knowledge (Dentrix) preferredand use of a web browser.