Direct Support Professional, Independent Living Programs
Employment Type: Full-Time
If you have a caring heart and a passion for helping others, then PathPoint may be the place for you! Join us and make a difference in your community every day.
PathPoint is currently seeking part-time and full-time Direct Support Professionals to join our Independent Living Services team in Santa Barbara, CA. In this role, you'll you will teach independent living skills to adults with developmental disabilities in their homes. This could include cooking and grocery shopping, healthy living and exercise, budgeting and money management, scheduling medical appointments and coordinating benefits, or other skills depending on the individual's personal goals. This position is part-time or full-time up to 35 hours per week with a variable schedule, including evenings and weekends. In a full-time role, you'll work with a large number of individuals, so we are looking for someone who is highly adaptable and who enjoys new experiences every day.
* Teach a variety of independent living skills, including cooking, laundry, paying bills, budgeting, emergency preparedness, shopping, and hygiene.
* Assist individuals with their benefits and healthcare, including applying for new benefits or services. Serve as liaison between individuals and Social Security, Housing Authority, rental agencies, utility companies, etc.
* Assist individuals in scheduling medical appointments and escort to appointments as needed.
* Prepare meals and snacks with individuals.
* Actively participate in meetings and discussions regarding each individual's progress.
* Maintain daily logs and data reports.
* High school diploma or GED is required. BA/BS in Education, Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, or a related field is preferred.
* Prior experience supporting or instructing individuals with disabilities is preferred.
* Must pass pre-employment Live Scan DOJ fingerprint background check, TB screening and basic health screening.
* Must have a valid driver's license with at least 5 years driving history, a satisfactory driving record, and use of a vehicle with current registration and insurance.
* Ability to perform the physical activities associated with the position, including, but not limited to walking, standing, sitting, stooping, bending and lifting up to 40 pounds.
Compensation and Benefit Package: $15.00-$15.90 per hour. Benefits for full-time staff working 30+ hours per week include medical, vision, dental, and life/AD&D insurance; paid vacation, 10 holidays, and sick time; wellness program with cash rewards; Flexible Spending Accounts; 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match; free Employee Assistance Program; and housing assistance.
About PathPoint: PathPoint, a non-profit organization based in Santa Barbara, supports people in living the life they choose. PathPoint partners with people with disabilities, people with mental health diagnoses, and young adults to pursue their hopes and dreams through strengthening workplace abilities, building life skills, and developing meaningful relationships. Founded in 1964, it offers services in five Central Coast and Southern California counties: Kern, Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Ventura.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.