Community Outreach Worker
Employment Type: Full-Time
Under the supervision of the Program Director and Reentry Coordinator, the Community Outreach Worker (COW) is responsible for working in an assigned Gang Injunction Zone (GIZ). COW must be able to work within the assigned GIZ. COW will be responsible for identifying individuals named in the
Rodriguez Settlement and assisting them in processing a claim through the Los Angeles Reconnections
Career Academy (LARCA) program. Applicant will receive training to understand the Rodriguez Settlement and the benefits claimants may be entitled to receive. COW will screen for eligibility, help eligible claimants complete a claim form, and communicate with LARCA program staff to ensure that claimants receive the benefits and services they are eligible for. COW will work with the Reentry Coordinator to provide quality wrap-around services to Rodriguez Settlement claimants. COW will attend HU program meetings, community events, and related events and activities. COW will collaborate with partner agencies to secure additional resources and services.
* Coordinate services to designated geographical area within the GIZ, and have a working knowledge of outreach coverage area including gangs and community;
* Maintain on-going weekly submissions of COW ambassador logs of all activities to document the delivery of services including follow-up activities related to crisis.
* Referring potential clients who are gang-involved or gang affiliated to the GRYD agencies.
* Work in collaboration with all partners to ensure community participation in and around the community, designated areas and adjoining locations;
* Assist with the coordinate and planning of events that foster peace keeping activities and stimulate community cohesion/unity; Coordinate and work with other staff members to meet the goal and success of the event.
* Assist an participate in anti-violence community awareness campaigns, and other related activities which assist peace keeping/building efforts;
* Serve as the community representative/liaison, collaborating with staff to develop dialogues/conversations to resolve conflicts, tensions and misunderstandings between residents and the community;
* Complete the necessary documentation for weekly timekeeping;
* Perform and engage in other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
We strongly urge Youth, People of Color, Women and all qualified persons to apply for this position. Homies Unidos, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited category.
* Ability to work with diverse populations
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* Good written and verbal communication skills
* Basic Computer skills and experience: Microsoft word, Excel Power Point, Email
* Experience in public speaking and counseling
* Must have patience, listening skills and creativity as well as professionalism
* Valid California Drivers License, automobile, and automobile insurance
* Bilingual in English / Spanish
* Required TB, COVID-19 Test clearance
* Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
OTHER SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
* Ability to work with diverse communities and work with all different personalities
* Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
* Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
* Will be expected to lift and carry boxes, tables up to 40 pounds
* Entering and exiting a van when going to events
* Walking when going out on outings or special events
* Willing to work as a team.
* Casual dress appropriate to an office environment
* Working and providing services to communities within the Los Angeles area. Working in different neighborhoods. The environment can be fast paced at times and you will be required to work weekends, week nights for special events.