Senior Research Associate/Research Associate II - Cell Therapy
Employment Type: Full-Time
Nkarta is a publicly traded (Nasdaq symbol NKTX), South San Francisco headquartered, early-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of allogeneic, off-the-shelf engineered natural killer, or NK, cell therapies to treat cancer.
Founded in 2015 at the birthplace of biotechnology, our development pipeline of engineered NK cell therapy candidates includes two co-lead clinical programs, NKX101 and NKX019. Clinical trials for 101 are in process; 019 will begin in H2 2021. Nkarta recently announced a collaboration with CRISPR Therapeutics, a world leader in gene-based medicines, for the development and commercialization of up to three new cell therapy candidates and access to clinically validated CRISPR/Cas9 genome engineering.
Complementing our broad research and development capabilities, Nkarta has also built an extensive cell therapy manufacturing operation. We have a 2,700-square foot clinical good manufacturing practice, or cGMP, facility on-site at our primary corporate location in South San Francisco, California. We plan to start in-house manufacturing of NKX019 in 2021 and NKX101 in 2022. We are also currently designing a separate, larger cGMP facility, to supply our anticipated pivotal clinical trial and commercial needs.
Position Title: Research Associate II/Senior Research Associate - Cell Therapy
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Reports to: Staff Scientist
Nkarta seeks a highly motivated, results oriented, and collaborative senior research associate/ associate scientist with knowledge and experience in immunology and various immunology models to join our growing research team to assist with NK cell therapy research and development.
* Mammalian tissue culture, including isolation and culture of primary human cells from whole blood
* Provide support for NK expansion and downstream characterization of NK function via flow-based and IncuCyte cytotoxicity assays, cytokine release and proliferation testing
* Perform studies utilizing cellular immunology to develop and analyze in vitro cell-based assay to support early discovery efforts and pipeline
* Immune phenotyping of cultured immune cells using multi-color FACs
* Analyzes and presents scientific results in team and company meetings.
* Works in a collaborative team-based environment
* In-depth experience with in vitro cellular/immune/tumor biology would be a plus and ability to work in a fast-pacedp environment
* Experience with tissue culture of cell lines is required and experience with culture of primary immune cells and primary tumor tissue is preferred
* Ability to work on complex problems where analysis requires an evaluation of multiple factors
* Exercises independent judgement in performing experimental methods, techniques, evaluation criteria for obtaining results, and data analysis
* Strong verbal and writing skills for documentation of data, drafting of technical reports, and communication of progress to supervisor and project teams
* Must be able to communicate and multi-task within a fast-paced team environment with a high degree of self-motivation and organization
Education / Background
* BSc or MSc in molecular biology, immunology or cell biology with 2 or more years of experience
The common requirements of an office environment (computers, computer screens, workstations, etc.) apply when not working in or around the laboratory environment. Approximately 10% travel may be required, including airplane and car usage.
The 100+ team members describe working at Nkarta through some of the following comments. While getting better work-life balance and improving communications between groups in an early stage start up environment are two areas in which we're working, here are real anonymous comments of why people think Nkarta is a great place to work.
* People are always open to ideas. This company provides a safe place for its employees (covid testing, etc.)
* Exceptionally talented, committed, *kind* & supportive team
* The CEO is transparent and honest with expectations for the whole company. There is genuine care amongst the leadership team for their peers and employees. I believe this is unique.
* Not to sound corny, but the emphasis on people as a valuable resource is something I recognize doesn't often exist elsewhere, and it's here in ample supply, which is great.
* It's the first place that I've worked where the executive team truly values the employees. It's a pretty amazing thing not to hear that employees can be replaced with someone new. Institutional knowledge is understood.
* We have a very diverse team with executives that are friendly and accessible.
* Smart and dedicated colleagues. Mission to make a difference in patients lives. Empower us with tools needed to succeed. Open and transparent culture. Transparent leadership. Handling of covid and running the company was done very well.
To learn more about our work at Nkarta and the career opportunities that will drive us forward to serve patients, please visit the company's website at https://www.nkartatx.com