Scientist II, Discovery Biology
Employment Type: Full-Time
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM's current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). NGM's strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM is excited to hire an enthusiastic and highly motivated scientist to join our drug discovery efforts. A successful candidate is expected to have experience with a diverse set of experimental skills, and demonstrate strong understanding of at least two disease areas. This position is ideal for a recent PhD graduate with a profound love of learning and an ambition to be a key contributor on a multidisciplinary and fast-paced drug hunting team.
* Design and perform research in target discovery and validation
* Employ modern molecular/cell/biochemistry techniques to elucidate cell signaling, protein-protein interaction, cellular function evaluation, protein and antibody characterization etc.
* Introduce new technology or methodology to enhance research productivity
* Present results to senior management and other research staff
* Stay abreast of latest scientific and technology advancements in the field
* Develop new ideas for drug targets and/or target identification strategies
* Proficiency in experimental design and execution
* Ability to manage multiple projects at once; flexible and thoughtful about priorities
* Track record of perseverance in the face of scientific obstacles
* Ability to concisely communicate complex information and processes
* Ability to engage thoughtfully in feedback
* Deep understanding of two disease areas
* Passion for Biology, and more broadly, the spirit of scientific investigation
* Ph.D. in biological sciences (or expected within the next 6 months), with preference for experience in systems biology, synthetic biology, and/or monogenic disease
* Sustained productivity evidenced by high quality publications
* Must exhibit a diverse set of experimental skills, and proven ability to acquire new knowledge and skills
* No prior industry experience is required
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, employee stock purchase program participation, 401(k) and a comprehensive, industry-leading, benefits package.