Senior Product Counsel
Employment Type: Full-Time
Nextdoor is where neighbors turn for trusted connections and the exchange of helpful information, goods, and services. Nextdoor's purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Building connections in the real world is a universal human need. That truth, and the reality that neighborhoods are one of the most important and useful communities in our lives have been guiding principles for Nextdoor. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in neighborhoods around the world in the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Australia and Canada, with many more to come.
Meet your Future Neighbors
The Counsel team is a lean and collaborative team that supports the entire Nextdoor community. Each member of our team brings diverse opinions, perspectives and expertise, but works together to ensure excellence and consistency in legal advice and counsel globally. As the Counsel team at Nextdoor, we are reliable, trustworthy, and innovative in our support of Nextdoor's purpose of cultivating a kinder world.
The Impact You'll Make
As Senior Product Counsel at Nextdoor, you'll work cross-functionally across Nextdoor to provide support and advice to teams across Nextdoor on a variety of product, privacy, compliance, and marketing matters. You will regularly interface with product, engineering, business, marketing, and trust & safety teams around the world and will work collaboratively with the Counsel Team to support internal Nextdoor communities.
You should be excited to bring your experience and expertise every day in order to:
* Develop and oversee the product counseling program, providing strategic advice on a variety of consumer and business facing social media and advertising products
* Review global products, features, platforms and initiatives to provide practical legal risk mitigation strategies for products across multiple jurisdictions
* Analyze the products and partnerships that Nextdoor builds for advertisers to ensure compliance with global privacy laws and regulations, industry-self-regulation, consumer protection laws, and other legal requirements
* Coordinate with legal, public policy and marketing/communications colleagues on external communication, policy development, and enforcement decisions
* Lead outside counsel relationships as appropriate
* Bring a broad generalist practice to bear on the many challenges we will face together
What You'll Bring to The Team
* Minimum of 6 years experience in a law firm and/or in-house experience related product counseling, privacy, and consumer protection
* JD from a nationally recognized law school
* Admitted to any state bar
* Experience advising on advertising, privacy, and consumer protection laws and regulations, such as CCPA, GDPR CAN-SPAM, TCPA, app store guidelines, and payment processing
* Experience drafting terms, policies, and disclaimers, including identifying where changes are needed
* Strong understanding of mobile apps, SDKs, APIs, digital advertising, and similar technologies
* Experience working with international offices and managing outside counsel
* Strong communication skills, and experience communicating and explaining complex legal issues to business partners
* Ability to work on multiple projects, prioritize and organize workload
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills
* Ability to assess and manage risk
* Comfortable in highly collaborative environment
* Ability to easily network and build relationships with colleagues and internal clients
* Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the customers we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.