Manager, Technical Design
Employment Type: Full-Time
Position Title: Manager, Technical Design - Equipment
Location: Rohnert, California
Reports to: Director of Merchandising and Technical Design
Newell Brands is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, learn, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial brands that matter while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation.
Newell Brands Technical Apparel (NBTA), segment of Outdoor and Recreation division at Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL), a globally recognized designer, developer, marketer and retailer of high-performance technical apparel and equipment with a portfolio of brands that includes Marmot® and ExOfficio®.
Marmot® and ExOfficio® are dedicated to performance mountain, outdoor or travel adventures and lifestyle.
This is a job summary which includes essential job duties of this position. More specific information regarding duties may be provided upon request.
With a strong understanding of brand DNA, future product vision and category goals the Manager, Technical Design - Equipment, elevates the consumer experience through superior product craft and pushes the limits of Equipment development. The incumbent demonstrates expert understanding of products, product development process and the specific markets in which each brand does business. The incumbent manages other members of the technical design team and is responsible for the output and execution of work by the team, and managing any freelance support. This Manager, Technical Design - Equipment, will have their own workload of styles to develop each season in addition to managing the workload of the team.
* Responsible for the execution of product development services, driving execution of product development deliverables.
* Partners with Merchandising and Design on execution of design intention to ensure product is brand aligned, performance driven and meets the needs for the target consumer.
* Collaborate with and guide Merchandising and Design in interpreting and translating aesthetic and functional requirements into design details that can provide commercially viable products for mass production.
* Collaborate with Design and Merchandising to align understanding of current and future customer trends, product costs, and margin goals.
* In partnership with product team leaders, build and execute seasonal timeline that ensures product commercialization process meets go to market requirements from a deliverables and timing standpoint.
* Partner cross-functionally with internal resources and vendors and ensure all go-to-market expectations are delivered within timeframes.
* Maintain communication with all key stakeholders when there are changes that must be reflected in published materials on brand websites.
* Collaborate closely with department heads on future season timeline projections and line planning.
* Oversee department creation and maintenance of product specification packages using approved methodology.
* Manage team's maintenance of development documents including specification packages, development track report and other documents as required.
* Manages the performance and professional development of all Technical Design staff, including annual performance reviews and all review milestones as required.
* University or four-year college degree in industrial and product design or equivalent experience
* A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the outdoor industry
* 5+ years experience managing direct reports
* Strong knowledge of technical and design needs to build innovative product and meet margin goals
* Results-driven with an entrepreneurial attitude and an instinct to drive innovation and think outside the box.
* Motivational leader that contributes to a positive, collaborative, high-performance work environment.
* Practical knowledge of other functions such as sourcing, production, sales, marketing and merchandising preferred
* Extensive industry and consumer trend knowledge in the outdoor industry
* Experience working with factories and Product Development teams, developing fabric, technology and construction innovation
* Ability to effectively work with department executives, suppliers, engineers, and manufacturers to identify and develop new product concepts, innovations and construction technologies
* Proactive and passionate approach to driving fresh, innovative thinking from product concept to final execution
* Able to manage and lead change
* Able to mentor and guide/collaborate among cross-functional teams to achieve business goals
* Presentation/speaking skills - able to present and sell to all levels of the organization as well as the customer, communicating a clear and inspiring vision
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Able to precisely communicate and negotiate time frames verbally and in writing in a multi-cultural environment
* Demonstrated collaboration, interpersonal influence, and teamwork skills (maintains effective communication and working relationships)
* Results orientation while exhibiting great energy and resourcefulness
* Self-starter who brings passion, enthusiasm and focus to each project
* Strong project planning, organizational and time management skills and a high level of initiative
* Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
* Able to manage to deadlines, be flexible with change, drive to timely resolution
* High degree of proficiency in Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft programs, and PLM
* Knowledge of Accumark and Clo 3D a plus
* Able to travel up to 20% of the year, including international travel
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal OpportunityEmployers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.