Trained In All Departments
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: TRIAD (Trained in All Departments)
Job Region: California Coastal
Reports-To: Store Manager / Assistant Store Manager (depending on location)
Exemption Status (typically): Non-Exempt
Requirements: As a retail grocer, we operate 7 days/week and 365 days/year. Our in-store positions are likely to include evening and weekend shifts per the needs of the business. Food Handler Card and Alcohol Service Permit required.
About us: For more than 30 years, New Leaf Community Markets has been making important choices that nourish and sustain our Central Coast communities. We opened our doors as a small cooperative in 1985 on the Westside of Santa Cruz. Now, we're a community-hub grocery store, that remains true to our progressive roots and good for the community ethos.
About the role: Works in all departments, providing coverage and additional support. Provides exceptional customer service and contributes to a positive and collaborative team environment.
* Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
* Demonstrates ability to manage own time and models a flexible work style. Shifts tasks as priorities and circumstances change based on needs and conditions of department.
* Represents company values. Works cooperatively and positively with fellow team members, customers and vendors spiriting a respectful workplace where everyone is welcome.
* Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner demonstrating company Speak Up culture.
* Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company mission, vision and values and sustainability program.
* Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and all local, state and federal regulatory agencies. Contributes to store cleanliness, maintains equipment. Informs store/department management of any problems.
* Observes all company rules and policies. Understands and complies with specific department or location guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
* Trains to work in all departments, providing coverage and support.
* Follows all policies and procedures specific to each department being supported.
* Assists customers with product selection. Shares product knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs.
* Supports cashiering and other Front-End tasks such as ringing up product, bagging customer purchases and / or performs carry-outs.
* Supports food service departments, such as Deli, Juice Bar and Meat and Seafood. Tasks include, but aren't limited to preparing product through slicing, wrapping, weighing, taring, pricing and labelling.
* Follows company provided recipes and specifications in order to ensure accuracy and consistency.
* Processes customers' made-to-order items accurately and expeditiously.
* Builds displays and arranges department products to make attractive presentations, highlighting featured/unique/seasonal items.
* Executes product demos, including sponsored demos, vendor demos and themed tastings.
* Accurately receives and scans vendor deliveries, returns and credits into the corresponding inventory management software.
* Completes customer special orders thoroughly and provides follow-through as needed.
* Maintains whole-store cleanliness, cleans restrooms and deli seating area (DSA), sweeps, mops, empties trash, cleans parking lot, washes and stocks kitchen equipment.
* Stocks, rotates and faces products with attention to product quality and expiration dates.
* Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
* Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising team.
* Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas, products and supplies.
* Maintains accurate pricing and signage that meet merchandising standards.
* Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and events.
* Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of products throughout store, with willingness to continue learning. Seeks to further product knowledge in specific departments.
* Notifies store manager or Manager on Duty of any situations relating to customer service, safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the store.
* Tools and Equipment Used (not all inclusive): This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: baler, hand truck, POS, industrial kitchen equipment (i.e. blast chiller, grill, knives/blades, oven, grills, scales, etc.), basic housekeeping / janitorial and standard office equipment.
* This position works at a Medium level. Required frequently and up to continuously to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required. Up to occasionally, dependent on location, required to climb stairs, step stool and /or ladders.
* Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
* Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; push and/or pull 1-80 pounds; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
* Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; bend/stoop; twist; crouch/squat; kneel
* Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities and requirements, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function within our company. New Seasons Market / New Leaf Community Markers reserves the right to amend and change duties, responsibilities, and requirements to meet changing industry or business needs as necessary.
What you Bring as a Candidate:
* Previous customer service, food service, retail or grocery experience preferred.
* Knowledge of retail Operations department and / or experience working across multiple retail grocery departments (Front End, Prepared Foods / Deli, Produce, Meat and Seafood, etc.) highly preferred.
Physical and Environmental Work Space: Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures. There may be exposure to certain allergens and / or chemicals. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.