Research Scientist II
Employment Type: Full-Time
Are you motivated to participate in a dynamic, multi-tasking environment? Do you want to join a company that invests in its employees? Are you seeking a position where you can use your skills while continuing to be challenged and learn? Then we encourage you to dive deeper into this opportunity.
We believe in career development and empowering our employees. Not only do we provide career coaches internally, but we offer many training opportunities to expand your knowledge base! We have highly competitive benefits with HMO and PPO options. We have company 401k match along with an Employee Stock Purchase Program. We have tuition reimbursement, leadership development, and even start employees off with 16 days of paid time off plus holidays. We offer wellness courses and have engaged employee resource groups. Come join the Neo team and be part of our outstanding World Class Culture!
NeoGenomics is looking for a Research Scientist II within the Pharma department in our San Diego, CA location who wants to continue to learn in order to allow our company to grow.
Now that you know what we're looking for in talent, let us tell you why you'd want to work at NeoGenomics:
As an employer, we promise to provide you with a purpose driven mission in which you have the opportunity to save lives by improving patient care through the exceptional work you perform. Together, we will become the world's leading cancer reference laboratory.
The Research Scientist works under supervision and is responsible for conducting scientific experiments/processes leading to the successful completion of client projects and company projects including the development of high value, proprietary research or diagnostic products, new methods and technology development. The Research Scientist provides accurate and pertinent scientific data according to agreed methods, procedures, and techniques within the established project schedules.
This position is primarily a lab based position and will assist R&D in developing and validating NGS assays (or other molecular assays) for targeted cancer therapy to prepare new applications for CAP, CLIA, NCI-Match, NYS, FDA submissions. The person will also be responsible for develop/performing custom services or validation/troubleshooting of assays required for preliminary for prospective clinical trials.
This is the intermediate level in Scientist job category. Employees in this position perform a full range of procedures for assay development using Next Generation Sequencing platforms.
* Perform general molecular bench work related to DNA and RNA genomic experiments such as microarray, next generation sequencing, high throughout PCR, sanger sequencing, RNA profiling.
* Conduct general molecular biology experiments such as tissue and cell culture, RNA/DNA isolation, cDNA/cRNA synthesis, PCT,RT-PCR, ligation, sonication, etc.;
* Order and maintain laboratory inventory including reagents, solutions, etc.; (4) operate instruments for example for automation e.g. Hamilton/Tecan instrument platforms i.e. NGS platforms (Illumina, Ion Torrent, Nanopore, etc), QC instruments for example Fragment Analyzer, Agilent, qubit, nanodrop; extraction instruments.
* Conduct basic extraction and QC analysis.
* Participate in different research projects/activities involving internal study and prepare figures and tables for publication, applications, and validations if needed.
* Carry out the daily NGS activities, prioritize and coordinate tasks, be detail minded, and be an effective communicator, both verbally and in writing with all personnel.
Additional Responsibilities (may be assigned):
* Attend additional training or educational opportunities as requested.
* Attend and present on academic meeting.
* May publish from research and assay development.
* Train the staff in accurate procedures for assay development.
* Education: Ph.D. in a life or physical science or M.D. preferred; B.S or M.S. in a life or physical science with related experience.
* Three or more years related laboratory experience in assay development required.
* Experience making NGS Sequencing libraries (e.g. RNA, targeted, exome, WGS, etc.)
* Established scientific/technical writing and presentation skills; CAP/CLIA/NYS validation.
* Working knowledge of common genomic terminology (exome, targeted RNA/DNA panels, gene structure), databases (UCSC/EBI/NIH), genome versions, and tools used in genomics (e.g. dbSNP, COSMIC, ClinVar, UCSC genome browser, Galaxy, IGV)
* Preferred experience background in genetic/genomic testing especially cancer or somatic testing. (e.g. Targeted high depth panels)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.