Underwriting Assistant - PGIA
Employment Type: Full-Time
NICO National Indemnity Company
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway group of insurance companies, we offer outstanding opportunities for professionals interested in working with a successful company. We offer unparalleled financial strength, stability and 'large company' benefits, in addition to an exciting, friendly, 'small company' atmosphere.
Assist Underwriters (U/Ws) on the Underwriting team in all facets of the underwriting process. Process money and non-money endorsements, prepare binders and invoice all premiums. Process cancellations and reinstatements, and process all regulatory filings. Assist Underwriters with rating large accounts, preparing indications and reviewing inspection reports and audits as needed. Provide instruction to and coordinate work of Agency Technicians. Provide excellent customer service to brokers, insureds and others. Perform all other duties as assigned.
* Process money and non-money endorsements and audits. Calculate additional and return premiums and prepare invoice. Prepare rate sheets, pro-rata calculations and cover letters. Review changes requested with Underwriters as needed. Communicate all changes with producers and staff accordingly. Prepare documents for Surplus Lines filing and/or for deliver to producer / insured.
* Prepare binders on new and renewal business and invoice same. Assign policy numbers and create electronic policy file. Communicate any changes in premiums bound with Underwriters and producers as needed. Prepare documents for Surplus Lines filing and/or for deliver to producer / insured.
* Process cancellations and reinstatements. Calculate additional and return premiums and invoice same. Order audits as needed. Review all documents for compliance with State and Federal laws. Notify all parties accordingly.
* Process State and Federal regulatory filings as required. Review policy coverage, limits and Named Insured to assure compliance. Coordinate and communicate with PUC, DMV, other regulatory agencies, Underwriters and Home Office as needed to assure accuracy and compliance.
* Assist team Underwriters with rating large accounts, processing indications, reviewing inspections and audits, coordinating renewal processing and other underwriting functions as needed.
* Provide instruction to and coordinate work performed by Agency Technicians who are assisting the Underwriting team. Use Agency Technicians' assistance where appropriate.
* Perform all other duties as assigned or as situation dictates.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: (*minimum qualifications needed to perform essential job function)
* High School diploma and 2 years of college or equivalent
* Basic math and insurance rating
* Insurance terminology
* Manuals, policy coverage, endorsements, cancellations, etc.
* 2 years insurance industry work experience
* California insurance license
* Insurance related courses such as CPCU, IIA, or AU
* Typing 30 wpm with accuracy
* Personal computer & related software
* Excellent customer service
* Excellent written and oral communication
* Requires regular and dependable level of attendance
* Windows XP
* Microsoft Office and/or Word, Excel and Access
* AIM and ImageRight
A comprehensive benefits package is available for regular, full-time employees, including health, vision, dental, life and disability insurance as well as a 401(k) with company match. We also proudly offer 100% upfront tuition reimbursement to regular, full-time employees, to further your education. Our Omaha office boasts a complimentary state-of-the-art, on-site gym, a robust wellness program, low-cost downtown parking, and numerous volunteer and networking opportunities with other emerging professionals.