Associate Principal Scientist - Cancer Immunology and Pharmacology
Employment Type: Full-Time
Our company's Research Laboratories in South San Francisco is seeking an experienced and innovative Associate Principal Scientist with a strong background in cancer immunology and pharmacology to join the Quantitative Biosciences department. The individual will support immunology and oncology drug discovery with a major focus on antibody-drug conjugates (ADC). Primary responsibilities include immunological and pharmacological studies of targets, pathways, and therapeutic agents in relation to disease mechanism and modulation, using in vitro and ex vivo models. Successful candidates should demonstrate broad experimental and technical capabilities, a strong track record supporting immunology/oncology drug discovery research, and the ability to drive innovation. He or she should have excellent analytical and communication skills and can work effectively in a highly collaborative cross-functional team environment.
* Provide extensive cancer immunology and assay development support for preclinical drug discovery, with a major focus on antibody-drug conjugates
* Establish key in vitro and ex vivo immuno-oncology assays and models, suitable for therapeutic evaluation and mechanistic investigation
* Independently design, perform, and interpret complex studies that drive the identification, characterization, and differentiation of lead candidates
* Drive scientific and technical innovations to enhance functional capability and productivity
* Represent Quantitative Biosciences department in multi-disciplinary project teams to provide robust scientific and technical support
* Collaborate extensively across the research laboratorynetwork and with external partners to drive project progression toward milestones
* Ph.D. in Immunology, Cancer Biology, Pharmacology or a related field, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in immuno-oncology drug discovery in a biotech/pharmaceutical setting
* Expert knowledge of adaptive and innate immunity and immune tolerance, including the roles of various immune cells and cytokines in immune regulation and cancer immunology
* Broad expertise in cell-based immunological assays utilizing T-cell, B-cell, NK-cell and others, as well as experience with receptor binding, occupancy and signaling assays using advanced cellular and pharmacological techniques
* Highly skilled in the isolation and culture of rodent and human primary immune cells as well as advanced functional analysis using flow cytometry and cellular imaging
* Prior experience with complex tumor immune cell co-culture and/or 3D models and the integration of such systems into lead characterization/differentiation is highly desirable
* Hands-on experience with ADC or antibody immuno-oncology drug discovery is a plus
* Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment to advance drug discovery, with excellent organization and communication skills
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we 'follow the science' that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another's thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings: