At MemorialCare Health System, we believe in providing extraordinary healthcare to our communities and an exceptional working environment for our employees. MemorialCare stands for excellence in Healthcare. Across our family of medical centers and physician groups, we support each one of our bright, talented employees in reaching the highest levels of professional development, contribution, collaboration and accountability. Whatever your role and whatever expertise you bring, we are dedicated to helping you achieve your full potential in an environment of respect, innovation and teamwork. Position Summary
- Obtain venipuncture's and capillary specimens on all patients (geriatric, pediatric, obese, post chemotherapy, etc.) with minimal discomfort to patient.
- Provide proper follow-up wound care instruction. Instruct parents to monitor small children until puncture site is clotted and bandage is removed.
- Follow written and verbal orders. Use available resources to identify correct specimen according to established reference laboratory guidelines and policies.
- Label all specimens correctly and immediately. Never leave a specimen unlabeled for any reason.
- Perform required daily Quality Controls per HCFA, CLIA, and MCMG laboratory guidelines. Perform all QC testing in the manner of patient testing. Log all QC data in a legible manner. Maintain QC logs in an orderly manner. Ensure one revolving year of QC data is accessible in the site laboratory at all times.
- Maintain all non-QC data/logs per department guidelines. Forward all requested daily, weekly, and monthly data to supervisor in a prompt manner. Complete all daily logs by shift's end.
- Obtain approval from corresponding primary care provider for all non-approved referral provider ordered tests. Ensure any test requested for a non-contracted MCMG laboratory, is approved by MCMG's Physician Medical Director.
- Provide proper follow-up/follow-through on all TIQ's (test in question). Properly and promptly notify physician of critical and stat values. Promptly contact any patients for needed re-draws.
- Utilize and troubleshoot windows based computer systems confidently and accurately. Maintain a current working knowledge of the reference laboratory computer system. Adopt to ongoing system upgrades with confidence. Utilize the computer system in a competent and expedient manner. Verify all entered data is correct and current.
- Disperse printed (routine, stat, and critical) laboratory reports to the corresponding physicians within the specified timeframes outlined in MCMG's laboratory policy and procedure manual.
- Perform Bi-annual proficiency testing per the participating PT laboratory guidelines. Promptly (within 7 days of receipt) forward all results to the MCMG Laboratory manager. Verify forms are completed correctly and signed by the appropriate testing personnel. Ensure tests are performed the same as true patients sampling.
- Utilize MCMG's EPIC computer system per company guidelines. Maintain proficiency in all required functions for laboratory duties. Assist in scheduling laboratory patients when needed. Arrive scheduled patients on a daily basis.
- Have specimens prepared and ready for scheduled pick up from the reference laboratory courier. Place the reference laboratory lock-box with specimens properly secured in the designated site pick up location after closing hours.
- Disinfect laboratory daily. Perform spot disinfection of draw chair and processing area as needed. Maintain laboratory in an organized manner. Wear lab-coat when performing specimen collection and processing. Does not wear lab-coat in unauthorized areas.
- Dispose of contaminated and non-contaminated medical waste in the appropriate disposal container. Follow all relevant Cal-OSHA guidelines pertaining to the laboratory and facility safety. Can access and interpret needed information from MSDS manual in a prompt manner.
- Properly gathers and documents needed information prior to obtaining supervisory support. Utilize reference laboratory support personnel effectively.
- Display effective time management and prioritization skills. Work within Department and facility guidelines to ensure optimal flow.
- Perform any additional/miscellaneous duties (not inclusive of job description) as requested by the management team within the scope of knowledge/ability.
- Computer experience, preferably widows
- Uses proper professional communication skills with patients, staff and providers
- Provide coverage to sites as needed
- Able to work varied hours when needed including weekends
- Maintains CPT and CPR licensure current
- Verifies that all phlebotomists correctly obtain process and transport their specimens in accordance with the manufacturers' recommendations (to include centrifugation where needed, correct temperatures are maintained, etc.)
- Keeps Lab Supervisor informed of any lab department issues
- Minimum one (1) year of phlebotomy work experience required
- Minimum one (1) year of pediatric phlebotomy preferred
- Computer experience required, preferably widows
- High school graduate or equivalent required
- Certification for Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) required
- CPR for Healthcare Provider Card required
Associated topics: blood processor, ndc, pct, phleb, phlebotomist, pool, processor, psts, smmc, specimen