Manager of HIM
Employment Type: Full-Time
JOB SUMMARY: The Health Information Manager oversees the Health Information Management Department for the Mee Memorial Healthcare System (MMHS) including clinical medical record responsibility. This position is responsible for managing the operations of the departments which includes medical record completion, transcription, abstracting, coding, research, filing, storage, registry operations, retrieval and maintenance. This position manages the incomplete chart process to ensure MMH is within CMS and Title 22 guidelines. This position controls the release of confidential patient information in accordance with established laws and department policy and monitors compliance with TJC and Title 22 requirements relating to medical records. Works closely with the Privacy and Compliance Officer.
PERFORMANCE DIMENSIONS AND TASKS
* Oversees operational performance and management of areas of responsibility in accordance with recognized standards.
* Develops and oversees processes in the HIM Department; monitors and is accountable for the daily departmental functions.
* Develops realistic, measurable, goals and objectives for the department that complement MMHS goals/objectives. Completes/attains goals/projects in time framed assigned or provides explanations as to why this is not possible.
* Develops and modifies policies and procedures tailored to the needs of MMHS which uphold the confidentiality and security of records, reports breaches of confidentiality to appropriate agencies and facility administration. Works with the HIPAA Privacy and Compliance Officer, Risk Management, legal counsel, administrative staff, and key departments in maintaining appropriate compliance.
* Monitors changes in legislation and accreditation standards that affect health information management.
* Plans training for health information records staff. Empowers staff in the successful performance of their tasks and responsibilities.
* Accountability for managing and protecting the clinical medical records environment inclusive of properly training those accessing such records, monitoring and investigating protocol and/or policy violations which serve to enforce established guidelines.
* Oversees coding of charts to ensure accurate, ethical and timely processing of charts. Works closely with Clinical Documentation Improvement staff to ensure sufficient documentation for diagnosis, treatment, and coding purposes. Monitors DNFB accounts and works closely with the Revenue Cycle Manager and physicians to maintain these accounts at an acceptable level.
* Oversees medical transcription; assures that timely and accurate dictation is provided.
* Oversees the process of release of information concerning the patient to the community and outside agencies.
* Ensures that information systems support current and future needs of the department. Works with the Information Technology Department with the transition to the Meditech electronic medical record. Including, but not limited to, testing and training of staff to produce and maintain high quality data integrity. Participates in actively moving forward from paper based health record to a fully integrated electronic health record.
* Works with Case Management for response to RAC audits.
* Represents MMHS in court cases involving the subpoena of medical records.
* In conjunction with the Privacy and Compliance Officer, acts as a resource in issues regarding HIPAA, patient privacy issues and related matters.
* Demonstrates effective management of departmental resources. Monitors spending. Meets budget or provides explanation for variances.
* Assists with special projects as needed.
Attends and actively participates in established medical staff and administrative projects and committees.
Directly 0 0-4
Through Supervisors Reporting to this Position: 0 0
Education: Degree in Health Information or health related field preferred
Work Experience: Required: Minimum of 2 years HIM experience, and minimum of 1 year in Supervising a HIM Department.
Preferred: Minimum of 5 years HIM experience, and minimum of 3 years in Supervising a HIM Department.
Skill Requirements: Must have excellent observation skills, analytical thinking, problem solving, plus excellent verbal and written communication. Must be able to work independently as well as work cooperatively with coworkers, peers, and other staff professionals. Must have experience in Microsoft Office applications, and Meditech software.
Licensing Requirements: Certified by the American Health Information Management Association as either:
* RHIT - Registered Health Information Technician
* RHIA - Registered Health Information Administrator
Language Requirements: None
Physical Demands: Must be able to sit up to 6 hours and stand/walk up to 2 hours. Must be able to lift and push up to 10 pounds. Must be able to use hands repetitively for 6 hours or more.
Special Demands: Ability to supervise and work cooperatively with others. Must be able to delegate duties and maintain efficient standards of operation.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.