Sr. Software Engineering Manager - Health Applications - Remote Opportunity
Employment Type: Full-Time
Careers that Change Lives
This position can be located remotely in the US but would prefer California or Minnesota.
Our Health Applications Team develops real-time connected solutions that help diabetes patients live their lives better every day, and that also enable their health care providers to deliver care from anywhere in the world, at any time.
We create and support health applications and data systems that enable enterprise web applications for diagnostics & therapy analytics and also remote with real-time alerting. Building these distributed, integrated systems is hard, and we need experienced engineering leaders to formulate the right strategies that are both rigorous and also efficient. We release medical device software at the 'speed of consumers', a unique challenge that we find extremely rewarding.
The Sr. SW Engineering Manager is the key leadership role in our team for owning the creation and delivery of these applications. You are both a people leader and a technical leader who will expand our engineering competencies, grow execution scale and build rock-solid applications for stringent medical therapy needs. Your team includes full-time and contract personnel in our California business headquarters, along with remote teams in other geographies. As a performance manager, you guide and mentor to create a collaborative and customer-focused engineering culture.
Our technologies leverage latest-generation rich client UIs on Angular/Typescript, back-end services on both Java/J2EE and highly scaled platforms on AWS. We utilize advanced authentication and security techniques required for communicating sensitive health data. Our automation frameworks include Selenium, Cucumber, ReadyAPI/SoapUI, LoadRunner, JMeter, and much more.
This is a unique opportunity to apply your best technical innovation, problem solving and leadership skills to truly make a difference in our health and well-being.
A Day in the Life
* Architect new application solutions, front and back-end, in collaboration with system engineering, our product management organization and partner engineering teams.
* Lead and mentor our software engineering group to achieve strong organizational performance, grow and manage individual talent, and advance our technology strategy.
* Drive product delivery across multiple programs and oversee results of remote teams who must work closely and collaboratively with your US-based engineers.
* Establish continuous integration and automated testing that scales to meet our growing portfolio of connected applications.
* Grow process maturity and establish quality metrics in conjunction with R&D management to meet customer expectations, reliability and system performance.
* Analyze, diagnose, and resolve customer problem reports, working closely with product support.
* Establish software lifecycle metrics that provide 'management by data' for multiple projects running in parallel.
* Build a culture of quality and engineering rigors spanning the software engineering life cycle.
* Communicate status regularly to peer and senior management teams.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned
* Plans, directs and implements all aspects of the company's design and development of new medical device products or software systems.
* May develop, evaluate, implement and maintain technical quality assurance and control systems or reliability systems and standards pertaining to materials, techniques, or company products.
* Oversees the investigation and evaluation of existing technologies.
* Guides the conceptualization of new methodologies, materials, machines, processes or products.
* Directs the development of new concepts from initial design to market release.
* Manages feasibility studies of the design to determine if capable of functioning as intended.
* Monitors documentation maintenance throughout all phases of research and development.
* Organizes the coordination of activities with outside suppliers and consultants to ensure timely delivery.
* Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
* Bachelor's degree with at least 7 years of relevant experience and 5 years of managerial experience
* Advanced degree with at least 5 years of relevant experience and 5 years of managerial experience
Nice to Have
* Strong organization acumen with the ability to communicate effectively to non-technical audiences
* Deep expertise in software test methodologies, quality standards/metrics
* Experience with APIs and data platforms
* Experience in a regulated environment
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)