District Sales Manager, Diabetes - Southern California
Employment Type: Full-Time
CAREERS THAT CHANGE LIVES:
What does it take to be a leader at Medtronic? We look for inspiring and inclusive leaders who partner with others, knowing that diverse talent, skills, and perspectives lead to better outcomes.
We are seeking a dynamic, clinically savvy District Sales Manager to lead and manage a team of Clinical District Managers and Territory Managers in order to achieve and exceed sales plans within a specified budget. The District Manager will also recruit, hire, develop, and retain the assigned district's team. The District Manager provides input to the Regional Sales Leader regarding sales strategies and plans and develops sales goals and objectives for each territory on a fiscal quarterly and monthly basis to achieve and exceed sales performance.
Location for this role will depend on district location and remote work arrangement.
DIABETES BUSINESS DESCRIPTION:
The Medtronic Diabetes Business is one of the most exciting, dynamic and challenging spaces in the medical device industry. More than 463 million patients worldwide suffer from diabetes and this is expected to reach close to 600 million in 10 years. The diabetes device industry is unique in that technologies available to monitor and manage diabetes are starting to converge with consumer electronics technology. As such, the decision dynamics are evolving: patients have a stronger voice in therapy choice, care is transitioning away from specialists, and the role of artificial intelligence is elevating care. Medtronic Diabetes is transforming its business to adapt to this change and create meaningful differentiation to drive customer preference and revenue growth.
Click here to learn more about products.
A DAY IN THE LIFE:
* Provide a clear vision for the district and motivate the team
* Ensure maximum sales coverage with resources available to achieve peak performance; puts metrics in place to measure success over time
* Maintain sales data and records on each territory to understand market trends, provide direction to employees, and communicate competitive data
* Support pre-call planning and strategic account planning
* Interpret and explain business/marketing policies and programs to employees to maintain consistency and responsiveness to customer needs, ensuring that market and territory strategies are fully executed
* Develop and maintain strong relationships with all key account personnel within the district in order to support selling, market development, service efforts and clinical programs
* Provide input to the Regional Sales Leader on sales strategies, promotions, staffing needs, new product indications and product acceptance
* Fosters collaboration, coordination, and communication between territory sales and clinical teams
* Collaborate with Inside District Sales Supervisor team to ensure continuity, efficiency, and effective sales pull through the pipeline
* Ensure all field personnel are meeting or exceeding all objectives set including both revenue-based and market development objectives
* Works strategically with direct reports to analyze and interpret the customer needs of the territory
* Responsible for district budget management, and effectively controls/monitors the selling expenses for the district and sales team
* Provide coaching and feedback to Diabetes Territory Managers and Clinical District Managers through field visits and phone contact
* Provides feedback and evaluation of performance after sales calls, presentations, etc., in order to improve technical and selling skills of sales team
* Creates development opportunities and assesses performance and skill growth over time for each direct report
* Recruit, interview, and hire talented field employees
* Ensure that new sales staff receive appropriate onboarding and ongoing training
* Provide performance and salary review of field personnel annually and submit recommendations to appropriate management
MUST HAVE - MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS ROLE, PLEASE BE SURE THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS ARE EVIDENT ON YOUR RESUME
* Bachelor's degree
* Minimum of 5 years of relevant sales experience (medical device/pharmaceutical/healthcare sales experience), or advanced degree with a minimum of 3 years of relevant sales and leadership experience.
NICE TO HAVE:
* 2 years previous work experience having direct reports and managing teams -OR- 3 years' successful Medtronic Diabetes Field Sales experience as a Territory Manager/Sr Territory Manager or equivalent
* Demonstrated skills in business planning, consulting and territory financial analysis
* Demonstrated success in a sales position as indicated by level of sales performance against established objectives / goals
* Prior experience leading high performance sales teams in the medical device industry
* Previous sales award recipient due to strong sales performance (i.e. President's Club, Rookie of the Year).
* Understanding of Medtronic business environment
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation skills; team oriented; conceptual/consultative sales skills
* Experience coaching direct reports or peers and providing candid feedback
* Experience in identifying economic drivers to maximize performance
* Strong data analysis, evaluation and problem solving skills
* Demonstrated effective understanding of profitability and can balance company and customer goals
* Coaching skills - demonstrated creative coaching for field personnel recognizing different styles and types of motivation. Able to drive two-way communication to motivate and build trust
* Can work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors
* Ability to exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
* Experience utilizing Microsoft Office Products: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Approx. 50% Travel is required, as is the ability to drive over four hours consecutively. Must be insurable and maintain a valid driver's license.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be. We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
Medtronic has five Diversity Networks globally - African Descent Network, Asian Impact at Medtronic Network, Hispanic Latino Network, Medtronic Women's Network, and PRIDE Network - with hubs serving members by location or function. We also have site-based employee resource groups (ERGs) supporting employees of various ages, faiths, military veteran status, abilities, and other shared affinities. In total, 25,000 employee-members engage in 235 Network hubs/ERGs in 70 countries.