Patient Service Associate
Employment Type: Full-Time
Mednax Services, Inc. is a national medical group. Over the last 40 years, through our network of over 3,500 clinicians in 39 states and Puerto Rico, we have reshaped care delivery within women's and children's specialties and subspecialties. Our clinical teams care for the unique population of high-risk pregnancies and critically ill infants and children in both hospital and ambulatory clinical settings. Over the years, clinicians practicing as part of Pediatrix and Obstetrix Medical Groups have used evidence-based tools, continuous quality initiatives, clinical research, and telemedicine to enhance patient experience, outcomes and provide high-quality, cost-effective patient care. Our nationwide team of almost 8,000 employees, including physicians, advanced practitioners, clinical leaders, business and operational experts who work together every day to fulfill our mission to take great care of the patient®. We invite you to join the Mednax family and help shape the future of health care.
MEDNAX has grown from a single medical practice to a trusted health solutions partner with more than 10,000 employees and a presence in 50 states. Through our family of companies, we provide:
* physician services spanning the continuum of patient care
* revenue cycle management solutions
* performance improvement consulting
* The Patient Service Associate insures payment for pediatric surgery services by obtaining appropriate referral and authorization paperwork from third party payers and insurance companies.
We invite you to grow with us and help shape the future of health care.
The Patient Service Associate is responsible to ensure smooth clinic, patient and billing flow by greeting and directing patients to their various appointments, preparing the daily clinic schedule and updating the physicians' schedules, maintaining patient files and records, interfacing with the different corporate departments and by receiving and directly patient questions to appropriate people. Works as a team member to facilitate patient care and optimize the revenue.
* Handle high volume incoming calls.
* Review the charts and insurance referrals/authorizations and taking appropriate action to assure proper maximal reimbursement.
* To assist the physicians and/or administrators in all business and patient care responsibilities.
* Coordinates office communication flow.
* Communicates effectively and courteously with and demonstrates a caring attitude toward patients and their families.
* Greet, direct and assist large numbers of visitors and refers visitors to various areas.
* Ensure all patient demographic and insurance information.
* Answer telephones using correct telephone etiquette at all times, recording legible and complete messages, handling questions, transferring incoming calls appropriately, contacting physicians, insurance companies, hospitals, diagnostic facilities, billing departments, etc… as necessary.
* Review patient intake information to verify insurance coverage.
* Verify patient insurance information, call for insurance authorization, patient address, telephone, etc…
* Responsible for scheduling new and follow up appointments including patient testing.
* Acts in a non-directive, non-judgmental manner, recognizing an individual's religious, ethical and moral opinions and beliefs.
* Brings new ideas, positive attitude and lots of energy.
* Responsible for maintaining and recording patient schedule.
* Identify and collect co-pays, deductibles and other payments.
* Reconcile patient payments on a daily basis received to cash box and receipt journal.
* Prepare billing sheets.
* Review all billings sheets to ensure they contain necessary information needed to create a claim such as physician name and number, patient name and number, insurance code, referring physician and code, etc…
* Direct billing inquiries to appropriate Regional Office.
* Ensure the clinical staff submits all outpatient billing sheets daily.
* Maintains patient confidentiality.
* Patient chart management, preparation, maintenance, filing, copying, requesting records, etc…
* Provides assistance to other team members when needed.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Assures all charge tickets are accounted for and checked off against patient sign in sheet and schedule for optimal billings.
* Displays exceptional customer service skills in responding to all inquiries from patients, insurance carriers, outside agencies, internal departments and coworkers.
* Daily review of charts on patients who have appointments for the following day to verify that all appropriate referral and authorization information has been received.
* Coordinate flow of insurance information with the clinic sites and corporate office.
* Data entry of registration.
* Request insurance codes as needed.
* Maintain audit logs of billings.
* Reception desk and telephones as needed.
* High School diploma or equivalent required.
* Three years recent experience in a related position in a medical office experience preferred.
* Ability to prioritize jobs duties and meet deadlines.
* Ability to effectively work on many tasks at one time.
* Have superior customer service and verbal and written communication skills.
* Strong computer knowledge; experience preferred.
* Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
* Knowledge of medical terminology, obstetrical and/or perinatal coding, office billing forms, insurance and government payer regulations and other third party billing requirements preferred.
* Must be able to work cooperatively in a team environment.
* Ability to handle stressful situations.
* Excellent organizational, time management, and attention to detail capabilities.
* Must be able to travel to satellite office during the week. Mileage is reimbursable.
MEDNAX IS AN Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status