Financial Aid Counselor - Processing
Employment Type: Full-Time
As part of the Processing and Compliance Unit, this position will work independently to ensure students meet federal, state and institutional financial aid eligibility requirements. Assist in packaging and re-evaluating student awards. Coordinates the awarding of specialized aid programs. Advises LMU students and families as needed.Contribute to broad scope compliance effort for Financial Aid Office.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Assist in maintaining compliance with federal, state, institutional and NCAA policies, procedures and regulations.
* Determine student eligibility for federal, state and institutional aid programs according to federal and state regulations and institutional packaging policies.
* Ensure accurate data Entry of verification documents.
* Perform federal verification.
* Resolve FAFSA reject codes and C Flags.
* Monitor corrections to Electronic Student Aid Reports using Federal software.
* Assist in correcting student Origination and Disbursement Records using the Federal Common Origination and Disbursement system.
* Review of subsequent ISIR records and repackaging of financial aid awards as needed.
* Make CPS FAFSA corrections using FAA Access to CPS online.
* Review Satisfactory Academic Progress for federal, state and institutional aid programs.
* Process requests and appeals for additional funding.
* Process summer aid applications.
* Confirm student eligibility for federal, state and institutional aid for enrollment in study abroad programs and via domestic consortium agreements.
* Coordinate packaging of student worker, resident advisor, LMU Departmental funding and other outside resources with student aid awards.
* Prepare files for annual and other audits as needed.
* Provide customer service to LMU students and families by providing accurate, prompt information and counseling via telephone, face-to-face or email as needed.
* Represent LMU by making presentations on Financial Aid as needed.
* Loyola Marymount University Expectations:
Exhibit behavior that supports the mission, vision, and values or the LMU. Communicate and employ interpersonal actions that models high standards of professional, responsible, accountable, and ethical conduct. Demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service.
* NCAA, Conference, and University Rules Compliance:
* Conduct all aspects of program in accordance with the rules and policies established by Loyola Marymount University, the Athletics Department, all Sports Conference Affiliations, and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
* Complete all rules compliance information as required.
* Participate in an annual evaluation of adherence to rules compliance (LMU, Athletic Department, Sports Conference Affiliations, NCAA) with immediate supervisor.
* Two years experience in financial aid at a post-secondary institution, preferably private preferred.
* Demonstrated knowledge in financial aid application processing: need analysis; verification; and awarding of federal, state, and university funds.
* Ability to explain detailed financial aid issues to students and parents; calculate federal eligibility; speak to large groups. Counsel prospective students, give presentations, and write brochures.
* Accurately enter data on the computer; write clear and concise letters; and communicate effectively with students and parents. Knowledge of Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Word.
* Typically a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience. Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes.