Catalina Island - Recreation Aide
Employment Type: Full-Time
Please note: There is a current position available to be filled as soon as possible.
This position is for Catalina Island positions only.
Testing for this position will take place ONLY at the Avalon School located on Catalina Island
Avalon School is located on Catalina Island, 22 miles southwest of the Los Angeles Harbor Breakwater. Employees must live on the island, and/or arrange for their own transportation to and from the island.
Under the supervision of a Principal or designee, provide for and assure a safe, clean and secure environment for students participating in playground, physical education, meal periods and recreational activities; organize and oversee recreational and playground activities; perform related duties as assigned.
Examples of Duties
The classification specification does not describe all duties performed by all incumbents within the class. This summary provides examples of typical tasks performed in this classification.
* Maintain control and discipline of students participating in playground, physical education, meal periods and recreational activities; communicate rules and expectations to students; settle disputes; prepare written disciplinary referrals as appropriate. E
* Establish positive relationships with students and staff; promote good public relations with parents and the local community. E
* Communicate with school administration and staff regarding pertinent information such as special events, site programs and observations and incidents relating to specific students. E
* Organize and oversee recreational and playground activities; properly store playground equipment and supplies; apply District policies, procedures and regulations related to assigned activities.E
* Monitor and circulate throughout assigned school areas including playgrounds, sports fields and bus lines; promote safety and acceptable attitudes related to good citizenship, integrity, fair play, sportsmanship and respect for property and rights of others. E
* Apply school nutrition program rules by monitoring and controlling student behavior in the cafeteria lines, dining rooms, lunch benches, restrooms and playground areas; during inclement weather monitor and control student behavior throughout nutrition service periods in classrooms and auditoriums; encourage good manners and proper nutrition; assist cafeteria supervisor after lunch.E
* Conduct periodic inventory and safety checks of playground supplies; perform visual inspections of playgrounds and surrounding areas for potential hazards; report safety concerns to supervisor. E
* Perform incidental housekeeping tasks such as arranging objects, putting items away, wiping down tables, chairs, work and play areas, toys and equipment, creating bulletin boards and displays, and arranging furniture. E
* Administer first aid or necessary physical assistance to ill or distressed students; report playground injuries to supervisor; complete required accident reports. E
* Train new Recreation Aides as directed; schedule Recreation Aide staffing to assure adequate coverage as assigned by the position; may arrange for substitute coverage as needed. E
* Operate a walkie-talkie and radio for emergency assistance as necessary. E
* Attend and participate in meetings, workshops, in-services and training programs. E
* Perform related duties as assigned.
Note: At the end of some of the duty statements there is an italicized 'E' which identifies essential duties required of the classification. This is strictly for use in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Employment Standards
Safe playground practices and appropriate student conduct.
Oral and written communication skills.
Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
Basic first aid.
Monitor, observe and report student behavior according to approved policies and procedures.
Understand, apply and explain school rules, regulations and procedures.
Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Understand behaviors of school aged children.
Demonstrate understanding and patience toward students.
Administer first aid or necessary physical assistance to ill or distressed students.
Learn District organization, operations, policies and procedures.
Meet schedules and timelines.
Observe health and safety regulations.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Complete forms and prepare schedules and routine reports related to assigned activities.
Operate a walkie-talkie.
Training and Experience:
Any combination of training and experience that could likely provide the desired skills, knowledge or abilities may be considered.
The Governing Board of Long Beach Unified School District prohibits unlawful discrimination against and/or harassment of district employees and job applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender, sex or sexual orientation at any district site and/or activity pursuant to BP 4030.
The Governing Board of Long Beach Unified School District prohibits sexual harassment of district employees and job applicants.The Board also prohibits retaliatory behavior or action against district employees or other persons who complain, testify or otherwise participate in the complaint process established pursuant to policy BP 4119.11.