Employment Type: Full-Time
THIS IS NOT A LONG-TERM TELEWORK POSITION. Work will be performed at NASA Ames Research facilities. When appropriate, remote work will be permitted during COVID.
TO FACILITATE TIMELY ACCESS TO GOVERNMENT SYSTEMS AND FACILITIES, U.S. CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED.
Leidos has an exciting opportunity to join our Industrial Hygiene Team supporting operations at NASA Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, California. In this role you will work with a dynamic team to find solutions to challenging problems in Industrial Hygiene, gain experience working at NASA centers, and work for a manager that supports career growth.
The position works under general supervision of the Lead Industrial Hygienist and is expected to apply fundamental industrial hygiene concepts, practices, and procedures.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
* Delivering in-person and online trainings to groups of up to 50. Class participants range from student interns, to PhD researchers, to blue collared laborers.
* Personal and area noise monitoring to recommend engineering controls and appropriate HPD noise reduction rating. Create detailed noise map with sound pressure levels to delineate hazardous noise areas.
* Develop a comprehensive sampling plan and perform personal/area air monitoring for a range of chemicals. Use that data to recommend engineering controls, administrative controls, and PPE.
* Investigate indoor air quality concerns and work with facilities and maintenance.
* Perform fume hood surveys following ASHRAE 110 guidance and assess local exhaust ventilation using the ACGIH Ventilation Manual.
* Using the ACGIH Ventilation Manual, offer recommendations for new ventilation design and perform calculations to recommend design requirements.
* Calculating potential for oxygen deficiency and chemical gas buildup in case of accidental compressed gas/cryogen release.
* Perform quantitative respirator fit tests for all employees at ARC wearing elastomeric respirators.
* Conducting large scale audits for Industrial Hygiene related hazards and recommending/implementing corrective actions.
* Perform comprehensive annual program reviews including lessons learned recommendations for improvement.
* Perform quarterly food sanitation inspections of the 3 food service facilities plus inspect NASA ARC sponsored events serving food.
* Perform asbestos/lead pre-renovation building surveys and oversight of asbestos/lead abatement.
* BS or BA in Industrial hygiene or Science and 4 years' experience performing industrial hygiene monitoring.
* Knowledge and use of computer skills and typical business software (i.e., word processing and spreadsheets) is mandatory.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills are mandatory.
* Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and switch between projects easily.
* Experience managing Industrial Hygiene Programs that include large tacking/inventory databases for programs such as indoor air quality, hearing conservation program, chemical hygiene, laboratory safety plans, ventilation, biosafety, nanomaterial, and asbestos/lead.
* Being solution oriented with a 'yes, if' rather than 'no' mentality towards health and safety.
* Experience building and maintaining relationships with research organizations across center. Ability to develop working relationships that allow.
* Ability to write and critically review technical reports for all field work conducted. Technical reports include executive summaries, process background, means/methods, results, discussions, and recommendations.
MUST BE U.S. CITIZEN, AND CURRENTLY LOCATED IN THE U.S.
* Experience working with a defined Statement of Work or other contract based employment.
* Comfortable reading scientific journals to stay up to date on the latest research and industry standards.
* Knowledge of AIHA's Mathematical Models for Estimating Occupational Exposure to Chemicals, is a plus but not required.
* Knowledge of quantitative risk assessment and exposure modeling tools such as ALOHA and AIHA's IHMOD2, IHSkinPerm, and OHDMod applications.
* Experience working at NASA centers.
External Referral Bonus:
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.