Utility Locator - Damage Prevention Technician
Employment Type: Full-Time
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory's mission.
We have an opening for a utility locator/damage prevention technician. You will provide advanced coordination and support to LLNL projects by performing locating jobs using state of the art locating equipment to identify and map hidden substructures and buried utilities. This position is in the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department.
In this role you will
* Provide advanced technical coordination and support to LLNL projects by performing locating jobs to identify and map hidden substructures and buried utilities.
* Perform complex technical locates where regular decision making is needed to establish or modify guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
* Coordinate with personnel on projects requiring underground locating services, and anticipate and reconcile support problems, including technical factors affecting critical milestones.
* Provide supervisor and customer/requestor routine status updates and reports.
* Ensure that all locating tasks are performed in compliance with Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) and National Utility Locator Utilize Contractor Association (NULCA) standards as well as procedures related to underground line locating.
* Contribute technical underground locating knowledge to project teams and maintenance staff and work with personnel inside and outside LLNL.
* Give locating demonstrations when needed and communicate to all levels of management within LLNL and other DOE facilities.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
* Associate's degree (AA/AS) in electronics, mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing technology or equivalent combination of education and experience in a maintenance or construction field.
* Advanced understanding and experience performing complex technical locates.
* High level construction knowledge of how utilities are installed both inside and outside of buildings.
* Experience coordinating and working as a team with clients, providing technical expertise and support through compiling field documentation, digital pictures, and drawings.
* Effective written, verbal, feedback, and presentation skills necessary to interact tactfully and effectively with all levels of management, engineers, designers, and craft personnel.
* Ability to participate in specific on-the-job training related to underground line locating.
* Experience using computers, scanners, digital cameras, and effectively using software such as Excel, Access, Word, and Photoshop.
Qualifications We Desire
* Experience with the National Utility Locator Contractor Association (NULCA) standards.
* Knowledge of the LLNL Soil and Concrete Procedures.
* Knowledge of Building Codes and USA North Codes and Regulations.
* Experience receiving and documenting work through a Work Order or Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
* Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
* Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
* Comprehensive Benefits Package
* Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
* Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch