Target Area Science and Engineering Laser Electro-Optics Technologist
Employment Type: Full-Time
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for a Target Area Science and Engineering Laser Electro-Optics Technologist (LEOT) to work in a multidisciplinary team to develop, deploy, and maintain complex laser systems in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF & PS). This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the Engineering Directorate. You will oversee scope of work and provide technical support and perform maintenance tasks, while serving as the team point of contact to support the National Ignition Facility's (NIF) Target Area Science and Engineering (TASE) organization.
In this role you will
* Provide advanced technical support in the design, development, and installation of new intricate laser/optical systems under minimal supervision.
* Perform comprehensive maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of existing Target Diagnostics systems.
* Generate and maintain system documentation including operations procedures and optical configuration drawings.
* Collaborate with Physics and Engineering staff to perform developmental and experimental setups.
* Acquire complex data using computer-based data acquisition and controls.
* Produce supportive documentation and graphics using drafting, design, engineering, and/or scientific programs on computer systems.
* Analyze complex system performance of high energy laser technology and processes and present data to a peer review team with recommendations.
* Interpret requirements for opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing of laser/optical systems.
* Serve as a technical lead for engineering principles to solve complex problems.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Laser Electro-Optics, Physics or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
* Experience in electronic assembly.
* Experience in electronic design, fabrication, and opto-mechanical mechanisms.
* Experience in safe work and business practices.
* Experience working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
* Advanced skills and knowledge of electro-mechanical technology, including general electronics background in both theory and design while applying the knowledge of electronics, software, instrumentation and controls, or electro-optic theory and ability to solve circuitry or system challenges.
* Advanced skills and understanding of high energy laser technology and processes with the ability to design complex systems and solutions to problems under minimal supervision.
* Advanced skills with opto-mechanical assemblies, precision laser alignment and tolerancing. Demonstrated high-level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
* Advanced skills and understanding of photonics/laser technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
* Effective written, verbal, feedback and presentation communication skills.
Qualifications We Desire
* Experience with engineering software tools such as SolidWorks, CREO, LabView or MATLAB.
* Experience with NIF databases.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
* Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
* Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
* Comprehensive Benefits Package
* Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
* Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Apply Now Referral