Associate Program Leader for Autonomous Sensors - Active Security Clearance Required
Employment Type: Full-Time
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Associate Program Leader (APL) for Autonomous Sensors (AS). In this position, you will lead a broad multi-disciplinary research and engineering team with responsibility for the growth, development, and execution of a project portfolio focused on autonomous vehicles, systems, sensors, and networks for National Security-related sponsors such as the Department of Defense (DoD) and the Intelligence Community (IC). You will nurture program and technology developments to develop and deliver solutions to satisfy sponsor milestones. You will be a key member of the Defense Systems and Infrastructure Protection (DSIP) management team and will be expected to contribute broadly to the leadership and strategic objectives of the program, collaborating closely with other DSIP APLs to maintain and leverage the strategic alignment of program personnel and resources. This position will be in the DSIP Program within the Global Security Principal Directorate's E Program. While this position is funded in part by Global Security, the majority of your assignment will be funded through direct programmatic work.
This position will be filled at either the SEL.4 or SEL.5 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
* Utilize technical expertise to attract and retain projects, programs, and funding. Actively engage with the program's principal investigators and sponsors to understand current program objectives and technical approaches. Anticipate future needs of current and potential sponsors and prepare research proposals to develop the technology required to meet those objectives.
* Facilitate solutions to complex problems and establish objectives. Provide leadership to the AS portfolio to ensure continued excellence in the technical work and maintain quality standards for deliverables, publications, and presentations. Manage the portfolio and collaborate with principal investigators to achieve the established goals and objectives within schedule and budget constraints.
* Develop an integrated strategy for the AS portfolio that leverages the strengths of LLNL and is consistent with the broader goals of the DSIP Program and E Program. Actively participate in strategic planning for the DSIP Program.
* Attract, retain, and develop high quality staff to support the AS portfolio in collaboration with counterparts, management, and matrix organizations.
* Increase the visibility and impact of LLNL by leveraging existing technology, programs, resources, and partnerships to develop new capabilities, applications, or discoveries that may result in new opportunities.
* Develop, maintain, and enhance engagement with current and potential sponsors, national laboratories, industrial and academic partners, technology leaders, and other stakeholders, traveling as required. Enhance the visibility of LLNL's work through engagement in appropriate venues and promote LLNL's skills, expertise, and technologies.
* Collaborate with the DSIP Program Leader to ensure coordination across the program. Represent LLNL at meetings with other national laboratories, academic and industrial partners, and government agencies.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SEL.5 Level
* Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers. Champion new programs and cultivate relationships with U.S. Government sponsor leadership, providing input, influencing, developing, and/or refining new concepts to support AS, the DSIP Program, and E Program priorities and promote LLNL skills, expertise, and technologies. Play an instrumental role in attracting and retaining projects, programs, funding, and staff.
* Serve as an organization spokesperson to LLNL management and/or external advisor to sponsors and serve on external scientific or technical committees. Represent LLNL at meetings and interface with leadership at other national laboratories and partners that have responsibilities supporting the DoD and broader national security interest.
* Lead and develop advancements in cutting edge principles, theories, concepts, and technologies. Responsible for high-level long-range goal setting and strategic planning.
* Active DOE Q or Top Secret clearance required at time of hire.
* Master's degree in engineering, physical or computer science, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
* Subject matter expertise and significant experience leading the research, development, and application of technologies related to autonomous vehicles, networks, sensors, control systems, and human/machine teaming.
* Significant experience maintaining, growing, and developing successful programs through proposal writing and sponsor engagement.
* Interpersonal skills and experience managing and leading a multi-disciplinary team, including motivating and collaborating with other personnel and the ability to perform a variety of unexpected tasks to achieve evolving project objectives.
* Expert level verbal and written communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external sponsors and regulators, including preparing and presenting proposals, reporting results, and partnering effectively with internal and external organizations.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 Level
* Extensive experience and demonstrated expertise to consistently develop and/or produce cutting-edge technical products and/or principles.
* Extensive experience growing and leading programs with a focus on autonomous vehicles, systems, sensors, and networks.
* Extensive experience managing and leading R&D project portfolios, nurturing innovative program and technology developments to develop and deliver solutions to satisfy milestones.
Qualifications We Desire
* Ph.D. in engineering, physical or computer science, or a related field.
* Experience and leadership roles with Department of Defense technology development activities.
* Experience and leadership roles with international collaborations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
* Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
* Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
* Comprehensive Benefits Package
* Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
* Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.