Health Educator I/II
Employment Type: Full-Time
Who we are: La Clínica de La Raza is a community-based health center committed to providing culturally appropriate, high-quality, and accessible health care to the diverse communities of the San Francisco Bay Area. We have spent over 40 years advocating for and creating a health home for the many that have been denied access to care. As health care activists, we are dedicated to making sure individuals who do not have health coverage get the same level of quality healthcare as those who have it. From our genesis as a community health center in 1971, we understood that we cannot heal our communities without also addressing the economic and social factors that affect health. Many times, this requires that we go outside and provide services in other settings to build the bridge that links individuals to our health center for preventive and primary care. Over 90,000 individuals come to La Clínica because it is a welcoming place that addresses the whole person, coordinating and connecting them to a broad network of services to improve and maintain their health and well-being. While we are still known for our activism and spirit of social justice, we are also proud to have grown into a sophisticated provider of primary health care services with 35 sites across Alameda, Contra Costa and Solano counties.
Be a wellness ambassador: At a time when our communities are responding to intensified challenges, it becomes more important than ever that those who can use their voice to educate and activate others to step forward. La Clínica was founded over 45 years ago by activists who saw the need for high quality culturally appropriate healthcare for Latinos in the Fruitvale area. As a Health Educator at La Clínica, you will build upon our strong legacy, serving an ever more diverse population, and working shoulder to shoulder with some of the most dedicated community educators you'll meet. Maybe you already know the power of community education to transform because you've seen it in your own life. Maybe community healthcare, like the care we offer at La Clínica, made it possible for you to have medical care growing up. If you are passionate about transforming our communities into healthy and empowered spaces, La Clínica is the place for you. We are seeking Health Educators who have discovered the power of their voice, who get activated when they're teaching and sharing information with others, and who are passionate about wellness. Yes, you will work hard at La Clínica, but the sense of teamwork, and our dedication to giving our diverse community the high quality services they deserve, will inspire you to do amazing work.
Major Areas of Responsibility include but are not limited to:
* Provide health education classes and, and facilitate groups on a variety of topics
* Effective at facilitating presentations and engaging participants during health education classes-workshops.
* Provide enrollment assistance in the community and one to one to enroll people into health coverage and inform them about how to navigate the health care system.
* Other duties as assigned by supervisor
Commitment to Quality
* Develop and assist in the development of health education materials such as curriculum, workshops, pamphlets and bulletins, and publicize and interpret health services and programs. Maintain all health education materials and resources including brochures/pamphlets, magazines, posters, videos, etc. Orders materials as needed
* Accurately document all services and activities provided and as needed for program evaluation
* Contribute to grant reports- responsible for maintaining accurate program records and submission of accurate and timely reports.
Outreach and Advocacy
* Train and coordinate peer health educators and Promotors to work on presentations and outreach efforts
* Participate in community engagement and outreach activities to promote Health Center services and provide information about other services in the community.
* Work with community organizations, attend collaborative meetings, and advise community groups in health activities
* Participate in relevant meetings, trainings and collaborative activities
* Develop collaborative partnerships with community base organizations to coordinate services and possible referrals for potential clients.
Minimum Job Requirements
* Demonstrated knowledge of principles, methods and materials used in health education including Motivational Interviewing, Health coaching and Group Facilitation
* Demonstrated knowledge of current Health education topic areas relevant to clinic site. Youth-serving sites require: prevention, family planning and STD prevention methods. Other clinics focus on nutrition related chronic disease prevention and perinatal education.
* HIPPA knowledgeable and compliant
* Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills are essential
* Ability to work independently and work positively as a collaborative team member
* Must be able to maintain appropriate boundaries with clients
* Must have flexible schedule to conduct classes and attend community events after business hours and on weekends as needed
* Youth serving sites require strong commitment to the principles of adolescent health and youth development
* Bilingual English/Spanish required
Other Certifications and Experience
* Health Educator I: Requires a High-School degree/GED plus a minimum of one year experience providing health education to undeserved communities of color plus two years' work experience in a community setting preferably at a health center
* Health Educator II: Requires Bachelor's degree in Health Education, Health Sciences or behavioral sciences with 2 years experience providing health education to underserved communities of color.
* Experience must include providing peer counseling, support, education and/or advocacy services. Must be committed to supporting clients toward the goals of active participation in primary case as well as commitment to services that are strength based and focused on wellness and recovery
* Experience with community outreach and engagement methods required for school-based health center sites
* Experience in group facilitation and presentations