Employment Type: Full-Time
Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk's latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
We design, build, test, and fly in rapid iteration, so you are an energetic, adaptable, and a fast learner who can make sound judgments with limited information. You will assist the Aircraft Crew Chief during fabrication and assembly of new aircraft and maintenance of completed vehicles. You will also support the Flight Test team both at our local test locations as well as multi week deployment to remote locations. You will be eager to help create a new and revolutionary flying machine.
Within 3 months you will:
* Shadow the aircraft crew chief during aircraft builds and maintenance
* Become familiar with the aircraft during daily hands on modifications and maintenance
* Get to know a small but talented team of enthusiasts
Within 6 months you will:
* Generate assembly documentation
* Conduct Pre-flight Inspections in the field
* Conduct hardware inspections and modifications in the field
Within 9 months you will:
* Independently assemble and maintain multiple aircraft
* Continue to assist the flight test team
You must have a majority of, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
* Excellent mechanical intuition
* Broad experience in assembling and maintaining aircraft
* Ability to read a technical drawing
* Excellent communications skills and the ability to produce build documentation to be used by others later
* Ability to read and write wiring harness diagrams
* Excellent solder and crimp skills
* A&P License or military equivalent
* Basic machine shop abilities.
Ideally you would also have the following:
* Some basic experience with CAD programs such as Solidworks
* Experience as a private pilot, hang glider, paraglider, skydiver, RC model aircraft builder, or other pursuit of your love of flight
* Other mechanical or electrical hobbies or job experience
* Experience with high voltage safety procedures
You should be able to work independently and determine the most fruitful direction to move in, while being an efficient communicator and team member.
We welcome you to apply even if you don't match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we're able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we're making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.#06022021