Horticulture Laboratory Technician, Short-term/Temporary
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Horticulture Laboratory Technician, Short-term/Temporary Position Number: 03046 Posting Date 02/05/2020 Closing Date Initial Screening Date Open Until Filled No Position Type: Short-term Temporary Hourly Rate: Work Week (as needed) Minimum Salary: $17.52 per hour Maximum Salary: Benefits:
Prorated sick leave.
This position is eligible for the ACA health benefits at employee expense.
College/Site: Bakersfield College Location BC-Main Campus Basic Function
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of duties related to landscaping and maintenance of grounds of the Agriculture Department greenhouses, arboretum, nursery, orchard and Christmas tree farm; assist in the preparation of the horticultural laboratories.
* Water, mow, weed, trim and fertilize lawns of the arboretum and horticulture laboratory; rake leaves and clear debris; cut, pull, till, disc, plow, scrape and spray weeds.
* Water, weed and prune tree and shrub areas, ground cover areas and vine areas of the arboretum, greenhouses, nursery, orchard and Christmas tree farm; perform maintenance and repair of the irrigation systems; change and adjust heads; maintain controllers and participate in irrigation system installation.
* Propagate plants from cuttings; transplant from container to container, from container to ground or from ground to container.
* Apply insecticides, herbicides, fungicides; monitor and control soil conditions mechanically and chemically.
* Prepare instructional labs as directed by instructors, including setup of equipment and materials, mixing experimental soil media, and arranging field trips.
* Develop and maintain a plant materials inventory; development and maintain a supply inventory; order supplies as needed.
* Perform minor mechanical work and maintenance on a variety of operating equipment.
* Operate grounds maintenance equipment including tractor, rototiller, and trencher; operate power tools including mowers, edgers, trimmers, chain saw and post hole digger; maintain hand tools and
* Identify equipment needs for each assigned project; utilize proper safety precautions.
* Assist in budget preparation by monitoring supply and repair costs and equipment repair expenditures.
* Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and two years of increasingly responsible experience in nursery maintenance.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
* Possession or, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver's license.
* Possession of, or ability to obtain, a *Qualified Applicator Certificate (QAC).
* Satisfactory completion of pre-employment physical assessment.
* Satisfactory completion of pre-employment drug testing
Knowledge and Abilities
* KNOWLEDGE OF:
* Methods, practices, equipment and tools used in the maintenance of landscaped areas and facilities.
* Soil and temperature conditions for growing a variety of plants, bushes, trees, flowers and grass.
* Insecticide, herbicide and fungicide application.
* Principles and procedures of record keeping.
* Basic arithmetic.
* Safe work practices.
* Recognize weeds, insects and diseases harmful to assigned area.
* Use and operate hand tools, mechanical equipment, and power tools and equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
* Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
* Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
* Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Salary Grade 37.0 Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
Completed Online Application for Employment form
Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.