Groundsworker I - Substitute - Short-term Temporary Hourly Assignment
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Groundsworker I - Substitute - Short-term Temporary Hourly Assignment Position Number: 03148 Posting Date 10/22/2020 Closing Date Initial Screening Date Open Until Filled No Position Type: Short-term Temporary Hourly Rate:
Work Week Minimum Salary: Maximum Salary: Benefits:
This position is not eligible for health benefits.
College/Site: Porterville College Location PC-Main Campus Basic Function
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of grounds maintenance and gardening duties in the beautification of assigned grounds and landscaped areas.
Groundsworker I incumbents perform a variety of routine grounds maintenance duties involving mowing, trimming, edging and weeding lawns, athletic fields and other turf grounds.
Groundsworker II incumbents operate and maintain a college irrigation system in addition to performing the full range of grounds maintenance duties.
erform a variety of grounds maintenance and gardening duties in the beautification of assigned grounds and landscaped areas.
Plant, cultivate, prune, spray, fertilize and irrigate flowers, trees, lawns, bushes and shrubs; hoe weeds; rake leaves and clear debris from walkways, fields, courts and other facilities; pick up debris following assigned tasks.
Mow, edge, trim and water lawns, athletic fields and other turf grounds; maintain golf green area; prepare and fertilize soil.
Perform general pest control duties; apply herbicides, fungicides and pesticides; maintain records related to work performed.
Operate a variety of power-driven equipment and District vehicles including a truck, weed eater, mower, fork lift, edger, blower, power pressure sprayer, rototiller and other equipment used in grounds maintenance work; utilize standard gardening hand tools.
Communicate with District employees to coordinate work; assist other maintenance and grounds personnel in the repair and maintenance of sprinkler systems.
Maintain grounds maintenance equipment in safe operating condition; perform routine maintenance on equipment as needed.
Provide training and work direction to temporary and student workers.
Perform routine custodial duties as assigned.
Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and one year of related experience AND a demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of commumity college students.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
* Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver's license.
* Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Herbicide Applicator Certificate.
* Satisfactory completion of pre-employment physical assessment.
* Satisfactory completion of pre-employment drug testing.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities
* Basic grounds maintenance procedures including mowing, edging, raking and weeding.
* Methods, equipment and materials used in gardening and grounds keeping work.
* Cultivating, fertilizing, watering and spraying of flowers, trees and shrubs.
* Proper methods of applying chemicals used in grounds maintenance.
* Basic record-keeping techniques.
* Health and safety regulations.
* Proper lifting techniques.
* Perform general grounds maintenance duties including mowing, edging, watering, weeding, fertilizing, raking and cultivating lawns, flower beds, athletic fields and other landscaped areas.
* Operate a variety of power and hand tools used in grounds maintenance.
* Perform routine maintenance on grounds equipment.
* Apply specialized chemicals to control and eradicate weeds, insects and other pests.
* Observe health and safety regulations.
* Understand and follow instructions.
* Work cooperatively with others.
Salary Grade 34 Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
* Completed Online Application for Employment form
* Current resume
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.