Department Assistant II, Short-term Temporary Hourly Assignment
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Title: Department Assistant II, Short-term Temporary Hourly Assignment Position Number: 01805 Posting Date 07/26/2018 Closing Date Initial Screening Date Open Until Filled Yes Position Type: Short-term Temporary Hourly Rate:
$15.45 per hour
Work Week Flexible - as needed Minimum Salary: Maximum Salary: Benefits:
This position does not qualify for benefits.
College/Site: Bakersfield College Location BC-Main Campus Basic Function
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, provide a variety of clerical services to College administrators, faculty and staff; provide information to the faculty, staff, students and public; provide staff assistance to departments.
* Perform general clerical work; file, schedule appointments and process personnel information; order, distribute and maintain office supplies.
* Type and proofread a wide variety of reports, letters and memos; type from rough draft, verbal instructions or transcribing machine recordings; compose routine correspondence related to responsibilities assigned; assist in gathering information for College, District and State reports.
* Provide information on classes, instructors and schedules to other offices and the general public; issue, receive, type and process various applications, permits and other forms; receive and sort mail.
* Perform a variety of work involved in student and employee assistance, preparation of invoices, preparation of payroll, inventory, time cards, accounts and bank deposits, and administration and
* Maintain calendars and schedules of activities, meetings, interviews and appointments; coordinate activities with other departments, the public and outside agencies.
* Organize and maintain filing systems; maintain records related to area of assignment including employee files, affirmative action records, worker's compensation files, job announcement, application, interview and fiscal files.
* Review materials for completeness and conformance with established regulations and procedures; apply applicable policies and procedures in determining completeness of applications, records and reports; provide information and forms to the public; collect and process appropriate information.
* Serve as a receptionist; answer the telephone and provide information to the general public regarding community college policies and procedures as required.
* Order, receive and process textbooks, materials and supplies for students and staff; process refunds; perform cashiering duties; process billing for outside agencies; balance and provide related sales reports.
* Process and verify financial aid, employment and student assistance program documents.
* Exercise functional and technical direction over student assistants as assigned; assist in the selection of staff and student assistants.
* Perform related duties as assigned; duties performed at extension sites may be diverse and varied.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to: Graduation from high school AND two years of responsible clerical experience.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities
* Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
* Word processing methods, techniques and programs.
* Correct English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
* Principles and practices of record-keeping.
* Learn, interpret and apply the policies and procedures of the District.
* Perform general clerical work including maintenance of appropriate records and compiling information for reports.
* Work courteously with students and the general public on the telephone or in person.
* Assist in budget preparation, monitoring and administration.
* Perform simple mathematical calculations.
* Operate a variety of office machines including a computer and applicable software.
* Understand and follow oral and written direction.
* Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
* Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
Salary Grade 35.0 Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
* Completed Online Application for Employment form
* Current resume
* Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
* Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
* List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.