M&A and Strategic Transactions Counsel
Employment Type: Full-Time
Invitae is a medical genetics life sciences company. Our mission is to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Since 2017, Invitae has acquired thirteen businesses, giving us access to new growth opportunities. M&A is part of our business strategy, and we expect to continue to pursue acquisitions of complementary businesses or assets, as well as technology licensing arrangements. We also may pursue strategic alliances that leverage our core technology and industry experience to expand our offerings or distribution or make investments in other companies.
This position will provide legal support for these M&A activities, strategic transactions and related commercial contracting. The role requires an ability to manage risk, achieve timelines and get the deal done. As a key member of the Legal team, this position will work closely with members of Legal, Corporate Development, Talent Operations, and Finance teams.
* Work with executive management and corporate development on mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions.
* Perform due diligence, draft and negotiate term sheets and definitive transaction documentation, and support closing transactions.
* Manage outside counsel and other advisors to a budget.
* Support post-closing integration, including transitioning the post-closing contracting needs of the acquired companies.
* Support integration of business continuity and contracting efforts of acquired business.
* Responsible for certain contracting workflows for Invitae's enterprise business.
* Collaborate cross-functionally with the company's sales, operations, engineering, information technology, human resources, marketing, and finance groups to understand and ensure consistency of agreement terms with the company's business, financial, and risk management objectives
* Other duties may be assigned
* Active license to practice law in good standing with admission to at least one state bar required
* 3+ years direct experience in working on and closing merger and acquisition transactions
* Strong contract drafting and transactional background
* Ability to draft, negotiate and interpret all types of contracts
* Must have the ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
* Ability to demonstrate sound judgment in ambiguous situations.
* Experience working remotely
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.