Employment Type: Full-Time
The Institute for Defense Analyses (IDA) in La Jolla, CA has an immediate opening for a Security Guard. This opening is located at IDA's Center for Communications Research in La Jolla, California (CCR-L).
We are seeking a Security Guard, who under general supervision, assists in providing physical security protection of structures, properties, and materials at CCR-L. Regulates and controls personnel movement onto the facility and into the building, patrols the environment, investigates unusual events, responds to alarms, document events and submit reports. This position is often required to work overtime hours or hours outside a regularly schedule shift.
1. Through instructions and on-the-job training, becomes familiar with all normal and emergency Guard Force Procedures, each duty post assignment, and the physical layout of the facility. This includes intrusion detection, video surveillance, and personnel access control systems, including radios/intercom systems and fire/safety systems, and reports any observed system malfunctions. Learn about and adapts to all existing and future security enhancing system add-ons, changes and upgrades.
2. Must be familiar with all normal and emergency Security Officer procedures, each duty post, and the physical layout of the facility. This includes building utilities, sprinkler system, machinery, and any special features.
3. Works on a rotating shift, dependent on the particular post and shift; may perform any or all of the following:
a. Visually checks security area access badges. Escorts scheduled, unscheduled, and uncleared personnel or visitors around and within the facility. Issues, maintains record of, and retrieves badges using sign-in log sheets.
b. Travels around building(s), checking on locked safes, looking for safety hazards, security violations or unauthorized activity. Writes entries into shift log; accomplish checklists, writes or completes special reports on computer. Patrols all areas of building both interior and exterior.
c. Responds to alarms and emergency situations by summoning Security Manager, staff, police, fire or other emergency personnel as needed; records emergency response and actions.
d. Ensures the protection and proper control of sensitive material to include documents, printouts and associated media during security checks within the controlled area of the facility.
e. Must dress in proper security attire provided by CCR-L and maintain a professional appearance at all times while on duty.
f. Assists with unloading/loading of supplies or equipment, relocating furniture or other bulky items within the CCR-L complex and/or storage areas.
g. Performs other tasks as instructed by the Security Manager which may include tasks outside the normal scope of security.
4. Performs Receptionist duties for all facilities utilizing computerized visitor control system and other duties as assigned.
* High school diploma or equivalent.
* At least one year of work experience.
* Ability to use a computer and associated software.
* Ability to cover facility and conduct security rounds; ability to respond on short notice to alarms or emergency situations.
* Ability to lift packages or materials weighing 10 pounds.
* Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing. Also, be able to follow and comply with instructions, procedures and directives.
* Must be prepared to work different shifts and overtime hours on short notice as needs dictate.