Scientist/ Sr. Scientist, Validation
Employment Type: Full-Time
Impossible Foods is addressing the most catastrophic threats facing humanity: climate change and biodiversity collapse. A global transition to a plant-based food system will turn back the clock on atmospheric CO2 levels, restore natural ecosystems and reverse meltdown in wildlife biomass.
The easiest -- if not only -- way to make our civilization sustainable is to eliminate livestock, the most dangerous technology on Earth. But humans won't give up meat. So we need to make meat better -- more delicious and more nutritious, without animals as the underlying production technology. That means that making meat sustainably is the most important and urgent problem for the global scientific community.
Impossible Foods' mission is to completely replace the use of animals as a food-production technology by offering consumers everything they currently value about animal products -- and making products that are vastly superior to their animal analogues.
To do this, we are taking a revolutionary scientific and market-based approach. We are inventing efficient, sustainable ways to transform ingredients from plants into meat, fish and dairy foods that deliver all the pleasures and nutritional benefits consumers demand, without the destructive environmental or public health impact.
Our world-class R&D team has been building the know-how and technology platform to produce meat, fish and dairy foods from plants. Impossible Foods is experiencing rapid growth and is resolutely committed to leading all aspects of the plant-based food revolution-from discovery to commercial production. The only thing that will separate Impossible Foods from success and failure is our ability to recruit more world-class experts.
Want to join? Check out the job opening and requirements below:
Do you often find yourself thinking about how ingredients work together to make delicious food? If you are the most organized person you know, an excellent communicator, and thrive when working on diverse teams, this may be the role for you! You will be working in a cross-functional team evaluating the ingredients that make up our products - from discovery to commercial production. This role is essential to ensure that Impossible Foods identifies or develops high quality ingredients to create delicious and nutritious plant based products to delight customers.
We are looking for outstanding experimentalists with a passion for discovery and deep understanding of ingredient and product functionality. We want a person that is analytically minded and a creative problem solver who enjoys working within teams.
* Develop assays, workflows, and processes to validate ingredient changes in current and future products.
* Evaluate and characterize ingredients at the lab, R&D kitchen, and pilot plant scale
* Collaborate with Strategic Sourcing to coordinate with external suppliers to identify new technology and improve ingredients.
* Design, conduct, and analyze sensory and analytical experiments to understand new flavors and textures.
* Identify new ingredient attributes that would solve technical challenges in current and future products.
* Proactively collaborate cross-functionally and lead applied research projects.
* Work cross-functionally across R&D to identify areas for investment to further our understanding of ingredients
* Mentor scientists and research associates as the need arises.
* Lead multiple projects and adhere to fast timelines.
* Voice ideas, concerns, and solutions to teammates.
* MS/Ph.D. in Food Science, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or similar field
* MS with 4+ years, PhD with 1+ years post degree experience in research and or development.
* Experience in establishing validation or quality control workflows and specifications
* Proven track record of innovative research and development projects.
* A passion to create new insights into ingredients which enable products that meet consumers needs.
* Experience in analytical testing methods to characterize one or more of fats/oils, starches, flavors, and protein ingredient classes a plus
* Experience with functional or sensory testing to assess product acceptability a plus.
* Experience with formulation development is a plus.
* Ability to thrive in a diverse, dynamic team.
* Excellent interpersonal skills.
* Self-starter that is naturally curious and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
* Ability to continuously challenge assumptions to seek innovative solutions.
Impossible Foods Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.