Third Mate - Seaward Services - USNS GUAM - Okinawa Japan
Employment Type: Full-Time
Seaward Services is seeking a Third Mate in Okinawa, Japan.
City Experiences' passion is to provide amazing experiences on land and water. Our 40-year success through organic growth and acquisitions has resulted in a portfolio of over 25+ brands that welcome upwards of 30 million guests/riders annually. If you're an enthusiastic team player who thrives in an environment where communication, creativity, and cooperation are encouraged, this may just be the opportunity for you.
About the Opportunity:
Support the Departmental directive to operate the safest possible high-speed ferry service. Assist the Master with the management and safe operation of the vessel in a fashion that exceeds the highest standards within the passenger vessel industry. Consider guest and team member safety a prime responsibility at all times
This person will be adaptable, dynamic, and embody City Experiences' RESPECT Service System.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Support the Departmental directive to operate the safest possible high-speed ferry service. Assist the Master with the management and safe operation of the vessel in a fashion that exceeds the highest standards within the passenger vessel industry. Consider guest and team member safety a prime responsibility at all times.
* Assist Master in navigation and control of vessel. Manage and operate vessel within legal requirements of USCG, FCC, IMO-HSC and other pertinent regulatory agencies. Compile, review and maintain official vessel logs and other necessary reports and forms. Take a lead role in maintaining and updating charts and publications.
* Assist Master in role as onboard Risk Manager. Monitor safety issues on vessel and correct problems under the direction of the Master. Assist Master in the establishment of a safety 'culture' and take corrective action as situations may require. Schedule and perform Safety audits as mandated by company policy and as circumstances require.
* Take a lead role in the training of crewmembers. Participate and recommend actions regarding interviewing, training and evaluation of Deck Crew candidates. Ensure that the performance and behavior of Deck Department Team Members meets legal and professional requirements. Recommend discipline for infractions of policy by Deck Department Team Members.
* Supervise embarkation and disembarkation of passengers and cargo
* Organize and participate in drills with crewmembers as directed by the Master. Assure the proper recording of all drill activities.
* Participate in the development of task prioritization and capital projects in consultation with Master. Participate in Marine Department meetings as required by Master or Operations Manager. Follow the onboard chain of command structure and duties assigned under the Watch Quarter Station Bill.
* The majority of work is performed in a Marine environment in both indoor and outdoor conditions with exposure to various temperatures and weather conditions, along with moderate to loud noise levels.
* The Marine operation is subject to varying levels of motion, movement and vibration.
* The Third Mate both lives and works onboard a vessel, on a rotational basis, generally for 56 Days on - 56 Days off (+).
* Additional job duties as assigned.
Requirements & Qualifications:
* High School Diploma or Equivalent required.
* Bachelor's degree preferred from maritime academy, or in related field, or equivalent experience.
* Unlimited Second or Third Mate USCG License
* STCW 95 Certificate
* Radar Endorsement with ARPA
* GMDSS Certificate
* A valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
* Have and maintain a valid U.S. Passport.
* Computer literacy in conjunction with administrative skills.
* Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
* Possess and demonstrate superior judgment, analytical ability, performance under pressure and other skills necessary during routine operation or emergency response aboard a high capacity motor vessel.
* Ability to use independent judgment and discretion to develop and execute innovative solutions to operational problems.
* Be able to design and implement training, mentoring, coaching and counseling programs and sessions.
* Thoroughly understand all pertinent regulations and laws under which the vessel operates
* Minimum 1-year experience sailing the Third Mate's position.
* Training and experience in the operation of onboard control, communication, lifesaving, navigation and fire-fighting systems.
* Experience with ISM procedures and requirements.
* High Speed passenger vessel experience preferred,
* Water Jet Experience preferred
* Excellent career record in the marine industry.
* Logically and independently plan, organize, and complete work assignments.
* Demonstrate well-developed inter-personal skills.
* Set and achieve high standards of performance.
* Demonstrate initiative and be able to make progress on multiple assignments under time constraints.
* Maintain compliance with USCG physical standards.
* Ability to stand and walk on nearly a constant basis; ability to work long hours each day.
* Ability to bend, rotate and reach frequently.
* Ability to carry, push/pull and/or lift materials weighing upwards of 50 lbs.
* Ascending/descending stairs or ladders safely.
* Ability to manipulate/handle/grip materials required to perform job.
* Ability to maneuver through/in/around small and/or confined areas within the vessel.
* Must be able to maintain both static and dynamic standing balance to complete various duties associated with job.
* Must be capable of performing emergency duties as listed in the vessel's station bill.
The RESPECT Service System embodies City Experiences' mission, vision, values and operating principles. By creating a company culture that puts RESPECT at its core, we believe it will drive us to achieve our goal of becoming a Global Experiences and Transportation Leader.
City Experiences is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We prohibit discrimination and or/harassment of any type, including but not limited to discrimination and or harassment based upon race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, pregnancy or relation medical conditions, childbirth, breastfeeding, parental status, veteran and/or military statue, disability (physical or mental) medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, political affiliation, domestic violence survivor status, marital status, or other characteristics prohibited by federal, state, or local law. Additional, City Experiences participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations.
Pursuant to applicable State and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.