Principal NLP Data Scientist, Development Sciences
Employment Type: Full-Time
We are seeking a talented and motivated data scientist to join the Development Sciences Informatics team. Development Sciences (Dev Sci) is a translational science organization that plays a critical role in Genentech Research and Early Development as well as late stage development of our products at Roche. Dev Sci supports drug discovery and development projects across all therapeutic areas from discovery to launch and beyond. We are poised at a unique time when large volumes of complex and varied internal and external data for Dev Sci areas such as Biomarker, PK/PD, Diagnostics, Safety Assessment and Bio-analytical need to be readily accessible to ensure that swift interpretation and decision making can occur. These data impact decisions in ongoing preclinical and clinical programs, and provide key knowledge to inform new target discovery. DevSci Informatics is accountable for leading the strategy and execution around data lifecycle management, data standards, analytics infrastructure, ongoing data operations and informatics systems.
The Informatics Analyst III is responsible for initiating and leading cross-functional analytics capability development in alignment with scientific objectives to enable insight/knowledge discovery from the large quantity of diverse scientific data.
* With a high degree of scientific knowledge and understanding of R&D data pipelines, establish cross-functional partnership to apply existing and novel technologies to enable and drive strategic scientific objectives across Development Sciences.
* Engage in data analytics initiatives across Genentech and Roche. As a leader and partner of global efforts, influence and drive problem identification, data analytics strategies and initiatives that have cross-Roche impacts.
* Engage and identify potential collaboration with data science teams across our research teams in departments such as DevSci, gRED, pRED, PD and PHC.
* Effectively communicate complex technical material to scientists, collaborators and senior management.
* Maintain expertise and knowledge of new and emerging technology trends in our industry. Assess and identify existing or novel technologies that can further our business objectives.
* Design and develop robust algorithms and techniques that enable insight/knowledge discovery from pre-clinical and clinical PK, PD, and safety data.
* BS with a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Preferable at least 10 years of experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry. Skilled in managing cross-functional stakeholder relationships in a complex organization.
* Good people, leadership, analytical, and written/verbal communication skills. Ability to inspire and motivate a team of junior and senior data scientists. Manage and influence a team of informatics analysts and engineers in a matrix organization to discover insight from diverse data sets.
* Track record of successfully proposing and delivering data analytics tools and solutions to address complex scientific data or informatics challenges with broad impact. Has a sustained record of managing groups or technical leadership in project teams to deliver in multiple areas.
* Evidence of business and technical acumen. Expert understanding of key machine learning concepts, algorithms, and evidence of applying them towards solving complex scientific questions.
* Prior NLP, digital biomarker, imaging analytics, or other machine learning related experience is a huge plus.
* Understanding of R&D processes, scientific data life cycle and the informatics landscape in the Pharma/biotech industry.