Principal Data Scientist
Employment Type: Full-Time
Roche Diagnostics is developing and building a new business - Roche Information Solutions (RIS) - charged with creating an innovative portfolio of digital products that change the way patients are cared for by physicians and health care delivery systems. Our challenge is to bring together, integrate and analyze complex diagnostic, treatment, and outcomes data from medical devices, electronic patient records, as well as the data collected by our own software solutions.
By analyzing and using very diverse meta and patient level data sets ranging from clinical guidelines, paid claims, genomics, pathology imaging results, application user behavior data, etc., you will develop prototypes (both one-time analyses and in some cases functional proof-of-concept software) that transform selected data into action-oriented clinical or operational decision support information. All or parts of these prototypes may become part of a digital product that Roche delivers to providers and lab customers on a global scale as part of our standard digital offerings.
Make a Big Difference
As a Principal Data Scientist, you will leverage your data science skills, your proven track record of contributing to digital products and your experience with stakeholder management to identify, promote, and support the development of digital products functions and features from concept, development, delivery, and ultimate use at the point of care. This work will generate evidence to support the value of our digital products and also be used to improve them continually.
As part of the Data Services organization, you are a valued and collaborative contributor as you provide leadership as an articulate entrepreneur who advocates for the practical use of data science knowledge and techniques that drive delivery and differentiation of our digital products.
You will lead, conceptualize, plan and execute advanced analytics projects to discover key insights that contribute to our digital product portfolio, leading to high quality and more efficient patient care. Act as a matrix leader to identify data science contributors and ensure delivery. The data you will be working with is varied in type including -- but not limited to - clinical patient-level data, supplemented with data such as omics, imaging, digital health, etc. You will lead and collaborate with peers within your function and across the organization to develop and improve existing strategies, digital and workflow solutions, improve product support strategies, identify evidence gaps and data sources, design and execute studies, implement analyses to support improvement of existing products, and lead discovery and early development of new features or applications to drive our digital portfolio.
In this position, you will also ensure that the design, execution, and presentation of analytical results are adhering to industry standards and potentially improve and redefine current industry standards. In order to succeed, you will leverage and expand knowledge of available healthcare data sources and applicable state-of-the-art analytical methodologies, large scale data processing and visualization, and languages and tools (R, Python, SQL, etc.) both on-premise and in cloud environments.
In addition, you will rely on your scientific expertise, strategic organizational awareness, strong advanced analytical skills, and your ability to interact and influence cross-functional experts such as biostatisticians, epidemiologists, product owners, business, and clinicians, to discover novel insights demonstrating impact of various treatment decisions, and uncover key elements leading to best outcomes for patients.
* Lead data services contribution to digital products to support product development - partner with product teams to assure that our digital software products benefit from the spectrum of data science technologies and its application to software development.
* Drive data science and analytical software development teams. Carry out analytics to support multiple product development projects and find solutions to new quantitative problems.
* Stay committed to offering innovation, find opportunities for new additions to our portfolio, enhance ways of working (including processes, methods, technology etc.) and share new techniques and lessons learned pro-actively with peers.
* Serve as an advocate to product, engineering, and business team members on what analytic features and functions are possible with current data assets and/or what has to occur to advance the use of data in the digital products.
* Mentor less experienced data scientists and act as an influential subject matter expert to your team members and the business you support.
* Leverage your strategic organizational awareness and systems mindset to implement sustainable, science-based practices.
* Maintain and expand knowledge and access to available and meaningful data sources within/outside Roche, and their application to digital product customer needs.
* Perform high quality, timely and accurate analyses using most relevant state-of-the-art methodologies, tools and resources.
* Be responsible for planning and timely delivery of assigned projects.
* Use and continue to foster strong working relationships with global colleagues/peers and customers and build a strong network in order to jointly explore new business opportunities, vendor relationships, data assets, analytical methodologies and toolsets.
* Build and maintain partnerships with other data scientists and analysts, biostatistics, medical and business leaders, and other key functional experts.
Who You Are
* Equipped with hands-on experience in data science and a passion to make a difference in healthcare and demonstrated past application of Data Sciences methods and technologies to deliver the highest quality digital products.
* Data savvy, creative thinker and problem solver, eager to learn new techniques and expand your scientific expertise.
* Reliable team player, strong collaborator with good influential skills and able to establish yourself as a thought partner/leader.
* Excellent communication skills, effective stakeholder management ability, constructive at giving and receiving feedback.
* Strong solution finding, resiliency and a sense of ownership with effective prioritization skills, attention to detail and accuracy.
* Adaptable, embrace and endorse challenges and changes, including all levels of data science work from data extraction, curation, and management to development and application of sophisticated statistical models in order to get the job done.
* When you join us, you will have meaningful work developing an innovative technology with a big impact to healthcare. As you collaborate with some of the best in the industry, you will make a huge difference in disease diagnostics! Our team is collaborative and fast-paced. And, we offer a competitive salary with a rich benefits package.
* At least a Master's Degree in a Data Science related field (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Bioinformatics, etc.) required. PhD is highly preferred.
* Background in biology or medicine, either through education or professional experience. Focus in one or several of the following areas is desired: Oncology, Infectious Diseases, Cardiovascular Diseases.
* At least 6-8 years of relevant experience. Industry experience is a must.
* Extensive demonstrable experience with digital healthcare product development as familiarity with regulatory framework and guidelines for pharma/diagnostics products.
* Strong programming 'hands-on' experience with R, Python and/or other quantitative software.
* Strong experience in applying statistical modelling, machine learning, exploratory, and confirmatory data analysis in mid to large volume biomedical data sets and patient-level data analyses (e.g., real world data, clinical trials, registries, claims, genomic or imaging data).
* Experience conducting analyses and developing models on cloud environments, and familiarity with shell scripting, command line and Linux OS is required. In-depth knowledge of data modeling, relational database principles and corresponding query language skills (e.g. SQL) for health care data is required.
* Good knowledge of English in a business environment.
* Leadership: You will build and provide effective leadership for ad-hoc project specific teams in a manner that is consistent with the Roche values and leadership in a matrix organization. Lead cross-functional teams within Roche Information Solutions in order to meet the expectations from product stakeholders. You will seek to inspire and lead to create an environment of trust, enablement, and creativity. You will foster collaboration within and across the multidisciplinary team. You will be both an effective individual contributor as well as a matrix team leader, depending on the specific circumstances and business needs.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability and need an accommodation in connection with the on-line application process, please email us at US.Accommodation@roche.com.