Engineering Manager - Data Exchange
Employment Type: Full-Time
Global Grade: PL7/PL8
Location: Santa Clara
Who We Are:
At Roche, we are passionate about transforming patients' lives, and we are bold in both decision and action - we believe that good business means a better world. That is why we come to work every single day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigor, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
Roche is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to build teams that represent a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Embracing diversity enables us to create a great place to work and to innovate for patients.
Roche Diagnostics has created a new start-up business charged with building a modern software stack that will change the way patients are cared for. Our challenge is to bring together complex diagnostic and treatment data from medical devices and IT systems within a hospital and intelligently process and present this data to doctors and caregivers to improve patient care.
We have built the foundation of a modern SaaS stack, with a microServices based architecture hosted in AWS, a modern Angular-based web front-end, and a Continuous Delivery pipeline, and are now looking to scale this to support a portfolio of products and add new capabilities. We are looking for candidates with a deep understanding of modern SaaS products and experience launching and supporting products. You'll get to be part of scaling our software and teams with lots of opportunities for growth. Plus get to work side by side with a team of world-class doctors and researchers who want to impact global healthcare delivery.
The Software Engineering Manager is a critical leadership role on the Data Platform team. It includes ownership of products and services with the responsibility to deliver and operate high quality, scalable, and extensible software, including making appropriate design and technology choices.
This is a people management role that requires the ability to hire and grow top engineering talent and scale to manage multiple teams. The role also requires strong strategic thinking, with the ability to think of out of the box solutions and to make build/buy/partner decisions.
Strong communication inside and outside of engineering is critical, working closely with customers and the product and operations teams to translate customer requirements into code.
A healthcare background with experience in integrating healthcare IT systems and working with doctors is nice to have; interest and enthusiasm to work in healthcare are critical.
(This is a newly created role and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape the remit of the team as it evolves).
Your main responsibilities will include:
* Software Delivery: this is a hands-on management position and you will be expected to lead the teams to design and deliver software components, with the skills needed to understand and lead the design of the software
* People Management: as a people manager, you'll be responsible for hiring, growing and motivating engineers on your team, ensuring you recruit and retain top talent
* Best Practices: lead the team to deliver on their commitments, ensuring the design and planning is accurate and work is delivered on time with quality; drive best practices in Agile and Software Delivery
* Leadership and Vision: individual and team leadership, with the ability to scale up and inspire multiple teams; long term vision, proactively planning for future organizational growth and driving a technology roadmap
Who You Are
Customer Empathy, Respect/Earn Trust, Extreme Ownership, Bias for action, Entrepreneurship, Open sharing of information, Data-driven, Effectiveness, Resiliency, Grit, Radical Candor, Curiosity, Optimism, Disagree yet commit, Collaboration
Moreover, you bring:
* BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineer or equivalent in a related field.
* 8+ years of software industry experience, particularly SaaS-based related applications.
* 1+ years of people management experience for a team of engineers
* Have successfully built, deployed, and operated an enterprise-scale web application in the cloud (in a management role)
* Hands-on software design, development, test, build and deploy experience using technologies like Java, Relational and NoSQL databases
* Experience in leading software development teams on Cloud platforms particularly AWS is strong preferred
* Experience in Healthcare Interoperability standards such as HL7, FHIR, DICOM
* Experience in Agile Software Delivery and Operations Management and people management
* Quick learner with the ability to understand complex workflows and develop and validate innovative solutions to solve difficult problems
* Strong communication, with the ability to explain complex technical problems to non-technical audiences and the ability to translate customer requirements to technical designs
* Strong interpersonal skills, with proven ability to navigate complex corporate environments and influence stakeholders and partners
* Global experience, influencing or (preferably) managing remote teams to deliver software releases
You will be expected to demonstrate the We@RD dimensions and help evolve the functions culture beliefs and bring We@RocheDiagnostics to life, as part of the TransformD journey. The dimensions are:
* We are passionate about our customers and patients
* We radically simplify
* We trust, collaborate & have fun
* We ALL lead
* We experiment & learn
Are you ready to apply? We want someone who thinks beyond the job offered - someone who knows that this position can be a unique opportunity to shape the future of Diagnostics.
You can be based in: Santa Clara
At the Company's discretion, an exception to the location requirement could be made under extraordinary circumstances.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability and need an accommodation in connection with the on-line application process, please email us at US.Accommodation@roche.com.