Cloud Infrastructure Technical Lead
Employment Type: Full-Time
Computational technologies are increasingly a core part of drug discovery and development. We are on a mission to leverage big data, massive computing power, as well as advanced AI algorithms to provide far more therapies at far less cost to society.
Genentech's Early Clinical Development (ECD) department is seeking a Cloud Infrastructure tech lead reporting to the head of AI and Cloud Engineering. The AI & Cloud Engineering (ACE) group provides cloud computing infrastructure for a wide range of business and research use cases including data engineering platforms, artificial intelligence, and business applications.
The Cloud Infrastructure tech lead will primarily be responsible for the design, development, automation, operations, and the security of high-performance, secure and compliant cloud infrastructure solutions, which significantly contribute to the advancement of Genentech's drug development pipeline. The role will require cross-functional interactions and collaborations with Global Infrastructure and IT Security, ECD Data Platform team, Digital Transformation, including Digital Health initiatives, Clinical Imaging and AI scientists to influence and execute gRED Cloud & AI Infrastructure strategy. The Cloud Infrastructure tech lead will act as a hands-on leader who establishes and applies best practices in cloud infrastructure solutions.
* Have a very ownership driven culture. We provide and expect ownership, freedom, and responsibility of all team members.
* Are solution-focused. Solving the underlying problem is more valuable than writing lots of code.
* Have a good sense of humor.
* Want to make a positive difference in society.
The Cloud Infrastructure tech lead will be responsible for:
* Influence the development of gRED's overall cloud objectives and long-range goals
* Lead the design, development, and operation of world-class cloud-native infrastructure for a wide range of business and research applications with a focus on cost-effectiveness, availability, performance, security, and scalability
* Collaborating with engineering and business teams to understand requirements and translate them into technical solutions
* Lead the coordination and communication of project lifecycle from ideation, design, development, deployment, operations, and decommissioning
* Create and implement a technical strategy to enable the infrastructure to scale to larger teams
* Build relationships with stakeholders to remove barriers to the adoption of innovative solutions and best DevOps and security practices and improve developer velocity, scalability, and testability, at scale
* Implement, monitor, and document infrastructure security and compliance in collaboration with relevant stakeholders
* Configuring, deploying, and managing cloud infrastructure with a strong focus on automation and documentation
* Monitoring performance, capacity, security, compliance, and overall quality of cloud infrastructure solutions
* Managing disaster recovery, continuity of operations, and business continuity plans for cloud infrastructure
* Responsible for cloud infrastructure team's performance by providing leadership, mentoring, and coaching to team members, including identification and implementation of software development processes that enable the team to continuously improve the design, implementation, test, deployment, and maintenance of the infrastructure
* Responsible for the hiring for cloud infrastructure team members and vendors
Our Cloud Infrastructure tech lead must have:
* Minimum BS degree (MS desired) in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience
* 10+ years of experience in cloud infrastructure development, operations, and security
* 5+ years' experience leading a team of 5+ engineers in a fast-paced software development environment with strong communication skills
* Proven expertise in data-driven critical thinking problem-solving
* Ability to debug systems of software and people
* Demonstrated ability to write high-quality, production-ready code (readable, well-tested, with well-designed APIs)
* Experience with designing and developing cloud-native infrastructure solutions
* Experience with designing and developing DevOps and automation tools
* Experience with developing automation frameworks and tools to help manage cloud infrastructure
* Experience with designing and implementing monitoring and security solutions
* Experience with container technology (Docker, Kubernetes)
* Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form