Engineering Practice Leader - Plumbing
Employment Type: Full-Time
We are currently seeking a Plumbing Engineering Practice Leader to join our team. As a Plumbing Engineering Practice Leader, you will be responsible for the management of an engineering discipline within an office or region with a focus on sustainable and high-performance engineering. Responsibilities include: project execution and review; team management and technical improvement; and discipline staffing management.
* 85% time devoted to the engineering of projects, particularly large or complex projects.
* Responsible for the engineering design of large projects, and design inputs and reviews of concepts for smaller projects.
* Active participation in all phases of projects
* Responsible for the quality and timely delivery of the projects and smooth running of the team.
Management and Technical Improvement
* 15% time devoted to team management and technical improvement of the region.
* Participate in resource management of a particular discipline, including predicting and managing workload, staffing management and coordinating shared work with other office leaders.
* Mentoring the staff of a particular discipline, focusing on continuous improvement in design quality, technical quality, and workflow management.
* Technical development, design quality, delivery, and QA/QC of a particular discipline in the region.
* Participate in the development of typical details, specifications, and drawing standards, including development of Revit standards in coordination with the BIM team.
* Improvement of analytic processes and documentation, common solutions, and critical solutions.
* Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
* As needed, provide support to Business Development, including write-up of key aspects of projects and preparation of fee estimates and assumptions for a particular discipline on potential projects.
Performance measured on office and firm-wide results
* Efficiency and profitability of the Engineering Discipline in that office or region and its contributions to firm-wide success.
* Quality of design solutions, as measured by level of integration, unique solutions, achieving high sustainability goals, and recognition by peers as excellence.
* The quality of work produced, as measured by completeness of design, absence of change orders and client satisfaction.
* Cohesiveness of the discipline team, as evidenced by ease and amount of work share, consistency of quality and delivery tools and standards, including drawings and specifications, and team communication.
* Client repeat business.
* Contributions to bringing in new work.
* Ability to engineer and deliver projects over $100m.
* Ability to collaborate with multiple practices across HOK's Global organization
* Must be able to communicate clearly
* Ability to inspire owners and designers
* Able to work creatively to reach solutions to complex problems.
* Business development skills, including stirring up work, proposal writing, writing of technical articles, and writing descriptions of our work preferred.
* Ability to develop discipline fees for a wide range of project types.
* Expert at current sustainable technologies within discipline.
* Strong project management skills.
* Experience in management of multi-disciplinary project teams
* Ability to teach and mentor others.
* Bachelor of Science in engineering degree preferred or equivalent experience.
* Licensed PE.
* ASPE Certified in Plumbing Design.
* NCEES record allowing registration in any state preferred for PEs.
* LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
* Expert at all aspects of their discipline, including a track record of recent successful major projects over $100m, and one major project over $250m.
* 10 years project engineering experience, from concept to opening, with completed (built) high profile projects included in the mix where the individual was lead.
* Experience working in integrated teams.
* Experience in design and delivery of LEED Gold or Platinum projects.
* Ability to design and engineer complex plumbing and fire protection systems for large projects such as laboratories, terminals, high rises, and other programmatically complex buildings.
* In-depth knowledge of codes, standards, and specifications.
* In-depth knowledge of integration of Plumbing and Fire Protection systems within the architecture of buildings.
* In-depth knowledge of sustainable water strategies, including storm retention, grey water system design, and solar thermal water heating.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.