Claims Legal Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Be Here. Be Great. Working for a leader in the insurance industry means opportunity for you. Great American Insurance Group's member companies are subsidiaries of American Financial Group, a Fortune 500 company. We combine a 'small company' culture where your ideas will be heard with 'big company' expertise to help you succeed. With over 30 specialty property and casualty operations and a variety of financial services, there are always opportunities here to learn and grow.
Great American Custom is a full service underwriting division of Great American Insurance Group specializing in providing primary casualty products as well as umbrella and capacity excess products that meet the needs of the commercial market. Our policyholders range from small businesses to complex multi-national corporations and Fortune 1000 companies. At Great American Custom, we have assembled a team of experienced insurance professionals to provide the insight, perspective and creative problem-solving that make the custom insurance solutions we provide so effective. Our quality insurance products, industry expertise, creative thinking and commitment to customer service distinguish Great American Custom from the crowd.
Gain Valuable experience to which practicing attorneys can attest through developing a thorough understanding of insurance-related issues that will give newly admitted attorneys a significant advantage in a variety of practice areas. If you're ready to collaborate within a diverse Claims team, develop new skills, insurance and legal industry relationships and receive practical preparation for contemporary legal practice, join the Great American Custom Claims Department. This Internship is part of a structured program that will provide the law clerk with meaningful practice handling primary, excess and professional liability claims-related litigation and business-critical work assignments and projects, providing an overview of legal experience within a corporate structure and an opportunity to develop work-life skills.
We are currently seeking a Claims Legal Intern for the Parsippany, NJ or Los Angeles, CA office location.
* Assist with Litigated and Pre-Litigated matters and Special Projects as assigned
* Conduct legal research on various claim-related issues on 50 state basis
* Identify legal trends in relevant calim-related subject matters
* Draft memoranda and Project Summary Reports.
* Review and synthesize informaton retrieved from various legal and non-legal databases
* Ineract and liaison with in-house claims and legal staff and outside law firms as directed
* Ability to work in our office in Parsippany, NJ or in downtown Los Angeles, CA
* A rising Fall 2021 2L or 3L law student, or recent Law School Graduate
* Excellent legal research and writing skills
* Superior organizational and time-management skills
* Capacity to read and understand complex legal documents
* Capability to work independently and in a team dynamic
* Strong, persuasive verbal and written communication skills
* Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office, online legal research-Lexis and /or Westlaw
* Prior experience (discovery, briefing, research) through other employment experience not necessary but would be a plus
Flexible scheduling at least 40 hours per week in Summer. Flexible scheduling and remote capabilities may be available to qualified candidates.