F&B Manager - 7 Mile Kitchen
Employment Type: Full-Time
Direct and organize the Food & Beverage functions within the outlets of the hotel in order to maintain high standards of food and beverage quality, service, and merchandising to maximize profits.
* Plan and direct the functions of administration and planning of the Outlets to meet the daily needs of operation.
* Supports and manages the hotel Outlets while working closely with the General Manager other hotel department managers.
* Responsible for short and long term planning of all Outlets (Restaurant, Bar, and In-Room Dining).
* Ensure effective hiring, training, coaching, and career development.
* Lead and coach the team towards achieving exceptional guest service and associate satisfaction results.
* Full understanding of Associate engagement
* Develop and implement creative strategies for revenue enhancement and cost containment.
* Develop and recommend the budget, marketing plans and objectives. Manage within those approved plans.
* Review and critique profit and loss statements in departmental meetings
* Ensure proper accounting processes for all expenses
* Understand and participate in budgeting and forecasting
* Responsible for maintaining high energy, positive attitude, and professional appearance.
* Plan, coordinate & manage special events and holiday functions.
* Ability to take the initiative to run the outlets as a free standing
* Develop, implement and monitor schedules for the operation of all restaurants and bars and In-room Dining to achieve a profitable result.
* Participate with the chef, in the creation of attractive and merchandising menus designed to attract a predetermined customer market.
* Implement effective control of food, beverage and labor costs among your departments.
* Establish and achieve predetermined profit objectives and desired standards of quality food, service, cleanliness, merchandising and promotion.
* Regularly review and evaluate the degree of customer acceptance of the individual restaurants. Recommend to management new operating and marketing policies whenever declining or constant sales imply dissatisfaction by the customers, a material change in the make-up of the customer market, or a change in the competitive environment.
* Continuously evaluate the performance and encourage improvement of the personnel in the food and beverage department. Plan and administer a training and development program within the department which will provide well-trained employees at all levels and permit advancement for those persons qualified and interested in career development. Oversee departmental matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meetings is required.
Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel's facilities. Employees who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
* Monitor hotel activities and troubleshoot problems.
* Operate word processing program in computer.
* Perform any general cleaning tasks using standard hotel cleaning products to adhere to health standards.
* Additional duties as necessary and assigned.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
* Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
* Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Considerable knowledge of complex mathematical calculations and computer accounting programs. Budgetary analysis capabilities required.
* Must have 2 years or greater with direct oversight of profit and loss statements.
* Must have 2 years or greater experience with direct oversight of Accounts Payable Processes.
* Must have 1 year or more experience with budgeting/ forecasting.
* Ability to access and accurately input information using a moderately complex computer system.
* Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
* Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
* Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their state and local analogues (where applicable): Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, and NLRA.
* Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10°F) and kitchens (+110°F), possibly for one hour or more.
* Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
* Ability to distinguish product quality, taste, texture and presentation and observe preparation.
* Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
* Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
* Must be able to lift up to 15 lbs. occasionally.
* May be required to lift trays of food or food items weighing up to 30 lbs. occasionally.
* Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. occasionally.
* Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
* Hearing, smelling, tasting, and visual ability to observe and distinguish product quality and detect signs of emergency situations.
* Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates.
* Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near and color vision and depth perception.
* Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill cleaning tasks occasionally.
* Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
* Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
High school or equivalent education required. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
4-6 years experience in overall Food & Beverage operation as well as management experience. Culinary, sales and service background required.
Licenses or Certificates
* Must have up to date Food Handler's Card
* Must have TIPS certification
* Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad's standards.
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance / tardies will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment. Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
This job opportunity for employment is being made available by Grand Pacific Hotel Services, L.P., the owner and the employer of all associates working at Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. Marriott International is not the owner or operator of Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. Marriott International is not the direct or indirect employer or joint employer of any associates working at Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. Marriott International does not control, govern or regulate any aspect of recruitment or employment at Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. Marriott International is not responsible for any aspect of your application, candidacy, or employment at the resort, nor shall Marriott International be liable for the data collection, use and privacy practices of the Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa's owner or operator.
I have carefully read and understand the contents of this job description. I understand the responsibilities, requirements and duties expected of me. I understand that this is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, Grand Pacific Hotel Services, L.P. reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the job or to require that additional or different tasks be performed as directed by the Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa. I understand that I may be required to work overtime, different shifts or hours outside the normally defined workday or workweek.
I also understand that this job description does not constitute a contract of employment nor alter my status as an at-will associate. I have the right to terminate my employment at any time, with or without cause and with or without advance notice, and Westin/Sheraton Carlsbad Resort & Spa has a similar right. Nothing in this Handbook will limit the right to terminate at-will employment. No manager, supervisor or other associate of the Company has any authority to enter into an agreement for employment for any specified period of time or to make an agreement for employment other than at-will terms. Only the Co-Presidents of the Company have the authority to make any such agreement which must be in writing.