Clinical Lab Associate
Employment Type: Full-Time
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. It is supported by leading global investors and pharmaceutical, technology, and healthcare companies. For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
The Clinical Laboratory Associate (CLA) is responsible for assisting the Clinical Laboratory Scientists and supporting the daily operations of the Clinical Laboratory. In addition to the primary role, Clinical Laboratory Associate, may provide support to the Accessioning group.
The work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multitask and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment.
* Responsible for equipment maintenance according to the laboratory's standard operating procedures. Responsible for creating consumable kits needed for different processes.
* Responsible for maintaining sufficient inventory of materials, supplies, and equipment in
* the laboratory for performance of duties.
* Responsible for receiving, unpacking and processing all incoming clinical specimens.
* Responsible for entering and verifying data into the LIMS database.
* Verifies aspects of incoming samples and access acceptability of the sample testing.
* Resolve and document incomplete or unacceptable specimens.
* Prepare samples for testing by isolating plasma from blood collection tubes either manually or using an automated method under the supervision of licensed personnel.
* Check, monitor, and record temperature.
* Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
* Responsible for cleaning racks and other laboratory supplies.
* Perform annual review of standard operating procedures.
* Assist the Clinical Laboratory Scientist with preparation and aliquoting of reagents.
* Assist the Clinical Laboratory Scientist during patient testing.
* Participate in projects under the supervision of a CLS or Supervisor along with maintaining quality and efficient work flow of daily duties.
* Assist with training of new laboratory personnel and training of new procedures with existing personnel.
* Assist with internal audits and inspection preparation, as needed.
* Assist with organizing and maintaining laboratory, equipment, personnel, and training documents.
* Ensure on-time calibration of laboratory equipment is scheduled and performed.
* Report all concerns of test quality and/or safety to the Supervisor or Safety Officer.
* Work closely with the CLS and Accessioning Teams to provide consistent and ongoing support to the entire service department.
* Participate in peer review feedback for evaluations
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Minimum of AA or equivalent required.
* Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science or a related field preferred and 6 months+ of experience
* Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed.
* Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
* Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
* Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
* Ability to work as part of a team within a highly collaborative environment.
* Strong computer skills.
* Ability to proactively communicate consistently, clearly and honestly.
* Ability to prioritize tasks with a high emphasis on quality.
* Ability to participate in projects and complete assignments as expected.
* Flexibility of work schedule to meet the needs of GRAIL's Clinical Laboratory.
* Ability to analyze and solve basic issues.
* Ability to work as part of a team.
* Previous laboratory work experience preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Environment
Hours and days may vary depending on operational needsStanding or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary.May be exposed to hazardous materials, blood specimens and instruments with moving parts, heating or freezing elements, and high speed centrifugation (generally laboratory and customer service employees only).Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary.Some lifting (up to 25 pounds) may be necessary.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
GRAIL, Inc. and its affiliates and subsidiaries ('GRAIL') does not accept any liability for fees for resumes from recruiters or employment agencies ('Agency'), without a binding, written recruitment agreement between GRAIL and Agency describing the services and specific job openings ('Agreement'). GRAIL may consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume and explicitly reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the Agency, unless an Agreement is in place. Any email or verbal contacts with any person within GRAIL is inadequate to create a binding agreement. Agencies without an Agreement are requested not to contact any hiring managers of GRAIL with recruiting inquiries or resumes. Agencies interested in partnering with GRAIL may contact GRAIL's HR Department through our Customer Service team.