Technical Program Manager, Safety and Compliance
Employment Type: Full-Time
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
* Experience working at multiple stages in the product lifecycle
* Ability to travel up to 10% of the time for work, including international travel
* Experience working in a production environment
* Capable of influencing teams indirectly through timely, accurate, and powerful analysis
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
About the job
We are responsible for ensuring that Google Consumer Hardware products reach a higher standard of safety than the legal minimum, and that they meet all applicable safety and regulatory requirements, follow industry best practices, and are ready to succeed in the market.
The Safety and Compliance team supports all products and accessories within the Consumer Hardware organization, inclusive of phones, notebooks, tablets, home (routers; Assistant; Chromecast; home safety and security), and devices and services (VR devices; earbuds; watches) products. Our goal is to define and execute product safety specifications that include regulatory safety requirements and more, and to apply the lessons learned during field incidents early in the product development cycle of new products.
The Google Pixel team focuses on designing and delivering the world's most helpful mobile experience. The team works on shaping the future of Pixel devices and services through some of the most advanced designs, techniques, products, and experiences in consumer electronics. This includes bringing together the best of Google's artificial intelligence, software, and hardware to build global smartphones and create transformative experiences for users across the world.
* Provide risk analyses and assessments at both the system and component level (e.g. battery, laser, etc.), associated with design, manufacturing, and possible misuse for products
* Review product designs to ensure design for safety is in place; work with partners/vendors/internal teams to develop exceptional materials, product safety specifications, and safety features for product teams
* Perform safety testing to simulate faults and validate design and safety performance
* Drive safety and certification requirements across development teams, testing labs, suppliers, and manufacturing partners
* Define and oversee hardware certification test requirements, validate test reports for accuracy and completeness, and ensure all mandatory requirements are properly accounted for in filing packages