Research Intern, PhD, Summer 2022
Employment Type: Full-Time
* Currently enrolled in a PhD degree in Computer Science, Linguistics, Statistics, Biostatistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research, Economics, Natural Sciences or a related technical field.
* Experience in one area of computer science, e.g., Natural Language Understanding, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Algorithmic Foundations of Optimization, Quantum Information Science, Data Science, Software Engineering, or similar.
* Currently attending a degree program in the U.S.
* Availability to work full-time for a minimum of 12 weeks outside of university term. Ability to return to a degree program after completion of the internship.
* Relevant experience as a researcher, including internships, full-time, or at a lab.
* Experience contributing research communities or efforts, including publishing papers in major conferences or journals.
* Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages
* Ability to speak and write in English fluently.
About the job
Join us for a full-time, 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, an executive speaker series, and community-building. Research happens across Google everyday, in many different teams. Our research has already impacted user-facing services across Google, including Search, Maps, and Google Now, and is central to the success of Google Cloud and our planet-scale computing, storage, and networking infrastructure.
Research Interns aren't cloistered in the lab, but instead they work closely with Engineers to discover, invent, and build at the largest scale. Ideas may come from internal projects. From creating experiments and prototyping implementations to designing new architectures, Research Interns work on challenges in artificial intelligence, machine perception, data mining, machine learning, natural language understanding, privacy, computer architecture, networking, operating systems, storage and data management, and much more.
Research happens at Google everyday, on many different embedded teams throughout the company. Our research reaches the user through both services and products such as Search, Maps, Google Assistant, Google Translate, Google Cloud and our computing, storage, and networking infrastructure. To achieve this, we're working on a wide variety of projects that utilize the latest state-of-the-art technologies that push the boundaries of what is possible.
* Develop and execute a research agenda.
* Create and support a productive and innovative team, including working with peers, managers, and teams.