VP of Institutional Advancement
Employment Type: Full-Time
REPORTS TO: President
DAY & HOURS: Monday through Friday, 37.5 hours per week. Flexible schedule will require evening and weekend hours during peak periods
The Vice President for Institutional Advancement (VPIA) reports to the President and leads the design, execution and evaluation of university-wide plans related to fund raising, alumni relations, marketing and communications.
The VPIA's primary responsibilities are to create a culture of philanthropy that energizes all GGU's stakeholders, both internal and external; provide guidance and operational support for administrative and academic leadership on all matters related to fund development, alumni engagement, and marketing; and strategically advise and support the President and the Board of Trustees on efforts to advance GGU's reputation and position.
The role has significant managerial responsibility, overseeing a team of 13 staff members. At the same time, the VPIA will have direct responsibility for cultivating a select portfolio of top donors and prospects.
The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and possess the agility to adapt to changing university priorities and needs.
* Develop annual strategic plans for development, alumni relations, marketing and communications in concert with the university's plans; set measurable goals and objectives.
* Hire, motivate, mentor, provide professional development support, and evaluate the success of the staff
* Ensure the development of engaging and cohesive promotional, enrollment and solicitation materials necessary to support GGU's advancement activities and enrollment priorities
* Understand and demonstrate the importance of implementing programs that underscore diversity, equity and inclusion.
* Utilize modern technology solutions (examples: social media, live stream videos) to elevate GGU's advancement activities and enrollment priorities and maintain a competitive edge
* Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
Specific Responsibilities Regarding Development and Alumni Relations:
* Oversee annual Development and Alumni Relations operations, ensuring effective collaboration and maximization of philanthropic support.
* Manage a select portfolio of major and principal gift prospects from identification to stewardship; set a personal example of frontline fundraising success for the development team; monitor and report on progress of donor-related activities and gift solicitations.
* Support current and develop additional planned giving opportunities.
* Serve as a role model and resource for staff on matters of prospect strategy and offer new approaches and techniques; seek to provide creative solutions to complex solicitations; rely on past experience in the industry, while remaining current with evolving trends in philanthropy.
* Through partners across the university inspire full engagement and effective participation of GGU alumni generally and the Alumni Association Board specifically.
* Enhance the quality of alumni programming and advance a robust alumni relations effort that provides meaningful engagement and service opportunities; expand the alumni audience.
* In partnership with Finance, ensure ethical and appropriate financial administration of contributed income, including overseeing the donor and prospect records, gift processing and donor stewardship.
* Prepare regular reports and presentations on fundraising and alumni engagement metrics for the senior leadership team and the Board of Trustees
* Interpret and assure compliance with policies and procedures of GGU and regulations of state and federal government.
* Liaison to two Board Committees: the Committee on Trustees and the Development and Alumni Relations Committee; collaborate with the President and other senior leadership members in order to ensure necessary support to the Enrollment Committee, the Student Experience Committee, and the Executive Committee, as well as to the full Board of Trustees.
Specific Responsibilities Regarding Marketing and Communications:
* Provide strategic direction and oversight for a comprehensive and cohesive approach to marketing, advertising, interactive media, brand strategy and public relations.
* Direct and support the collection, analysis, and interpretation of market data to identify challenges and opportunities for growth and to inform and evolve marketing activity.
* Prioritize marketing projects and allocate resources accordingly.
* Determine and oversee marketing budget and expenditures.
* Maintain brand strategy and standards and ensure compliance across all marketing and communications channels.
* Collaborate with the academic and other university departments to align marketing activity with strategic business plans.
* Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Management or related field.
* Advanced degree in an appropriate field strongly preferred.
* Minimum ten (10) years of progressively responsible, fundraising, marketing and communications and managerial experience in advancement, preferably within a complex university setting.
* Proven track record of success in personally cultivating, soliciting and stewarding gifts of seven figures and larger from individuals, corporations and/or foundations.
* Demonstrated management skills and record of accomplishment building a high-performing team, including recruiting, training, mentoring and evaluating staff.
* A track record of promoting operational efficiency and effective use of resources, including an understanding of budgets and experience managing them.
* Excellent program planning and implementation, management and presentation skills.
* Ability to work in a goal-oriented environment and contribute to a team effort.
* Intellectual curiosity and desire to engage deeply in life at GGU.
* High energy, initiative, flexibility, a good sense of humor and a commitment to GGU's mission are required. Comfort with ambiguity.
* Critical thinker with strong analytical skills; ability to draw insight from complex data.
* Effective oral and written communication skills. Clarity and succinctness in writing and speaking; ability to communicate clear vision and process.
* Experience using database and project management systems, specifically Blackbaud, Raiser's Edge, NetCommunity, PeopleSoft, and Asana.
* Able and willing to work evenings and weekends when required; (when it is safe to do so) able and willing to travel.
To apply: Please go to http://www.ggu.edu/jobs and submit an application, letter of interest, and a resume.
In applying for a position, candidates sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.
Golden Gate University is an equal employment opportunity employer. We support inclusive excellence and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming community for all.
University policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, gender stereotyping, and gender identity, taking a protected leave (e.g. family medical or pregnancy leave), or on any other basis protected by applicable laws.
The University has a strong commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and to maintaining working and learning environments that reinforces these practices. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all especially women, minorities, people of color, veterans, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQI community.
Golden Gate University annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the Federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Golden Gate University Report, please go to http://www.ggu.edu/media/employee/documents/facilities/street-smarts-annual-security-report.pdf.