Lead Electrical Substation Designer
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Description Summary
Prepare/create construction documents for the installation of new, or modifications of existing, electrical high voltage substations. Work includes bill of materials, yard layouts, plans, sections and electrical details as well as basic structural and ground grid design.
* Prepare/create construction documents for the installation of new, or modifications of existing, electrical high voltage substations. Work includes bill of materials, yard layouts, plans, sections and electrical details as well as basic structural and ground grid design. All work done to applicable CAD and engineering standards.
* Basic application of major equipment, such as power transformers, power circuit breakers, disconnect switches, VT/CT's, arrestors, control house, and other high-voltage substation related materials
* Provide engineering and construction support for projects
* Clearly communicate and coordinate project activities with project engineer and others as needed
* Provide leadership, guidance and instruction to less experienced staff members
* Take responsibility for the quality and accuracy of work product
* Expert level skills with Autodesk AutoCAD® and/or Bentley MicroStation
* Other duties will be assigned as required.
* Associates Degree in Drafting and Design Technology or Bachelor's Degree in electrical engineering
* Minimum 5 years of experience in physical design of air or gas insulated substations for a utility or engineering firm, 7+ preferred
* CAD system accreditation
* Prior experience with field installation and construction
* 3D substation design experience with BIM, preference for Autodesk Revit®
* Advanced skill & experience using Bentley Open
* Utilities Substation Design Software
* Develop detailed substation physical layouts/elevations, and implementing electrical clearances, with minimal direction. Develop designs of substation rigid and strain bus.
* Substation ground grid detailed design
* Substation surge and direct lightening stroke protection
* Develop raceway designs and detailed bills of material for substation power equipment, conduit / trough, and cable trays
* Design experience with civil foundations, steel detailing, and electrical power equipment such as support structures and insulators.
* Relevant codes and standards such as NEC, NESC, IEEE, NEMA and ANSI. Prior experience with utility substation design standards
* Follow quality procedures and standard design processes
* Knowledge of electrical drawing symbols and their purpose. Ability to read one-lines and substation drawings, and create a master drawing list for a substation design package
* Prepare engineering design and drafting estimates
* Excellent interpersonal skills as well as verbal and written communications skills. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
* Ability to work in a team environment and to coordinate the work of various engineering disciplines and contractors to complete an integrated project.
* Legally authorized to work in US without visa sponsorship
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
Relocation Assistance Provided: Yes#06022021