Employment Type: Full-Time
Analytics Technician - We offer competitive benefits!
The Company: GIA is the world's foremost authority in gemology. GIA is a global organization with headquarters located in Carlsbad, CA. GIA in Carlsbad boasts a 17-acre ocean view campus that accommodates approximately 800 of its 3,000 total employees worldwide. It offers many competitive health and commuter benefits that promote the well-being of its employees as well as that of the environment.
The Team & Culture: With autonomy, performance and passion, the Analytics department strongly collaborates across the team to elevate the organization's analytics and research initiatives. Our Analytic Technicians lead in independent or group based projects and problem solve production problems that impacts our organization as a whole.
The Location: This position is located in Carlsbad, California at our corporate headquarters.
* This role will require the person to work on-site due to the nature of the work.
* Work Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm PST Monday through Friday, start time flexibility
* We offer medical, dental, vision and matching 401-K plan
* Paid vacation, sick and holidays, tuition assistance, commuter benefits
* On-site cafe - affordable custom breakfast and lunch meals and Starbucks drinks!
* Economic friendly services - electric vehicle charging stations on-site
* Ergonomic assessments offered on-site and virtually
Operate advanced gemological instruments and accurately collect, assess and input data. Maintain instruments to ensure that they are well serviced and are reliable. Deal with all matters relating to arranging for engineers to visit the lab in order to service the instruments when required.
* Accurately collect data on gem(s) in accordance with GIA protocols using advanced gemological instruments.
* Evaluate the results and know when to continue with analysis or move on to other jobs.
* Monitor and maintain instruments to ensure high reliability and provide consistent results.
* Organize and contact technicians to maintain equipment annually, bi-annually, or as needed.
* Keep instrument protocols up-to-date.
* Participate in special projects, data collection, instrument testing and document filing.
* Assists Trainees, as needed
Technical Competencies (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
* Knowledge of Analytical Chemistry, Solid State Physics, or one of the Earth Sciences and some statistical abilities
* Able to operate standard and advanced gemological instrumentation used in gem identification and recognize the quality of data obtained.
* Ability to get along with a diverse group of individuals.
* Able to communicate professionally (communicate respectfully, listen, articulate/explain issues, use of professional tone, know when and how to communicate effectively with different types of communication tools, proficient in both oral and written communication skills); deals with colleagues effectively and professionally under pressure
* Possess proficient computer skills
* Accurate, detail-minded and good concentration skills.
* Ability to multi-task / be flexible / work under pressure
* Solid judgment / decision making abilities
* Basic problem-solving abilities - able to recognize problems and fix or escalate
* Team-oriented (works well with others)
* Language Skills-Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
* Reasoning Ability- able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
* Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Knows when to ask questions.
Education and Experience:
* 1+ years of experience with analytical equipment and data analysis; or equivalent combination of training and/or experience.
* High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
* Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Geology, Earth Sciences or related fields preferred.
* Graduate Gemologist and/or FGA diploma preferred. If not already acquired, GIA will support the employee obtaining the GG diploma.
Why Should You Apply?
* Great benefits!
* Reasonable hours that provide work-life balance!
* Professional development opportunities!
* Great educational opportunities!
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification and it may be changed by management at any time. Other duties may also apply. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees.