Electronics Test Technician
Employment Type: Full-Time
Electronics Lab Technician - Electric Boosting Systems
Who we are:
Garrett Advancing Motion's Electric Boosting Center Of Excellence (eCOE) is looking for an experienced Electronics Lab Mechatronics Technician to support development of high speed electric turbochargers and controllers.
The eCOE is charged with creating complex electric boosting solutions to meet increasingly stringent automotive regulations while still satisfying customer demands for performance and drivability. We are building a world class group that designs, develops and launches state of the art electric machines coupled to our market leading turbocharger technologies. These products will span vehicles from passenger cars to heavy duty commercial vehicles and include conventional and hybrid powertrains as well as fully electric fuel cell vehicles. By leveraging our aerospace and motorsports experience and heritage with high-power / high-speed electric motor technology, we lead the world in automotive boosting electrification. Garrett Advancing Motion is launching the first automotive production high speed electric compressor that, in addition to including one of the highest power density electric motors placed into automotive production, including the first automotive use of air foil bearings. To continue this momentum, we are growing our agile team of global experts to lead new technology development in Thaon les Vosges, France.
We are looking for a self-motivated Electronics Development Lab Technician to support the development of cutting-edge new power electronics products. You will be responsible for test setup & breakdown per instructions, ordering parts, receiving & shipping materials, organizing the lab environment, and learning SW to run some tests. Also some light fabrication for building lab infrastructure such as moving and installing power supplies & chillers, installing piping, hoses, and valves for water cooling circuits, building cable assemblies and wiring harnesses, and light wiring for things like e-stop circuits and safety interlocks. Work with the Electronics Engineers requesting the tests to ensure that the request is clear and they ultimately get what they need. Ensure that team efforts are put toward the most effective possible test activities.
* Understand development team needs in order to build and run new test setups and procedures.
* Tests typically include thermal, electrical, and mechanical testing of electro-mechanical devices, normally focused on turbomachinery, permanent magnet electric motors, and associated power electronics, per instruction from engineers.
o Safety - Complete safety training for working with hazardous voltage and follow the guidelines in daily work
o Testing - Setup and breakdown of bench tests for power electronics team, per instructions, including making electrical and instrumentation connections, coolant circuit setup, moving equipment, ensuring safe setup per standard
o Infrastructure - (with guidance) install network of e-stops, safety cages, water cooled load banks, power management boxes, wire DC power supplies to test benches
o Logistics - Incoming receiving of goods, organize outgoing shipments, organize and order materials
* Learn, document, and teach others how to setup and use complex test equipment for precise and accurate electrical measurements.
o Ex. Yokogawa WT1800 Power Meter and DL-850 scopecorder.
* Execute various tests per training and documentation
* Participate in safety improvement activities around test infrastructure and labs.
* Safe operation of equipment in lab environment, hold other team members accountable for safe conduct/environment.
* Participate in setup, execution, and maintenance of 5S organizational activities in lab areas.
* Basic mechanical & electrical aptitude (ex: personal auto mechanics or home electronics repair)
* Curious disposition - willingness to learn and grow
* Take ownership of tasks and responsibilities
* High School Diploma plus at least 3 years of experience in engineering test environment
* B.S. in a STEM field new grad
* Additional experience in an engineering test environment is always beneficial
* Experience in engineering testing of electrical devices, with electrical power measurements